cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Darjolu

Prior to my Quit Date

Should I do anything special before my quit date?  Should I try to quit now, rather than two weeks from now?

Tags (1)
33 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Darjolu wrote:

Yes, I created a Quit Plan.  But I have to be honest, I am finding this site dizzying.  I went to MY QUIT PLAN in the right hand corner but I do not see the same questions and answers that I filled out. I filled out some, then I had to finish it later.  I don't even know if I finished it or did it correctly. 

My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  > Has Reasons for Quitting and the various steps we recommend for your Quit Plan

Edit Profile | BecomeAnEX  > Has some demographic questions

1. Visit the Community
  2. Talk to Family and Friends
  3. Prepare for Quit Day
  4. Know what to expect
  5. Plan for success after quit day
  6. Discover health benefits of quitting
  7. Track Your Tobacco and Identify Your Triggers | BecomeAnEX 
  8. Beat Your Tobacco Triggers | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX 
  9. Understand why quitting is hard
  10. Does Nicotine Cause Cancer?
  11. Alternative Quit Methods
  12. Choose a Quit Method

There are other places to explore from My Quit Plan pages as well

1. Build Confidence | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 
  2. Get Support | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 
  3. Health Issues & Benefits of Quitting | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 
  4. Getting Ready to Quit | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 
  5. Quitting Medications & Methods | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 
  6. Quitting Tips & Techniques | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

The community also has many resources to keep you busy. If you get lost in the content and spend some time figuring it out you're probably distracted enough to not be smoking. Be curious, that is often the key to figuring something out. Read things that are recommended to you. Utilize things that you identify with and ignore things that don't. And perhaps somethings you might not identify with currently but might at a later date. In life sometimes I find myself not open to something initially but as time goes on I contemplate something more and sometimes find something that wasn't previously useful, is now useful when I revisit it. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Giulia

"Be curious, that is often the key to figuring something out."  Love that!  So true.  

This too!

"I find myself not open to something initially but as time goes on I contemplate something more and sometimes find something that wasn't previously useful, is now useful when I revisit it."

Very wise words of advice.  Thanks, Mark.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Barbscloud wrote:

My post just disappeared.  I hate that.

Sorry that happens. The site autosaves every so often as you compose. 

pastedImage_2.png

If you click reply in the same thread and click reply/comment it should offer to load your last saved composition. Sometimes you just push the back button if you thought it was going to post.  It doesn't store these in your "drafts" like it does draft blogs but when you're composing it will save drafts on most things, except in your Inbox and Status Updates or comment on a status update.  Might also be the same for badges and badge comments.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

Thanks for answering. Yes this is up to you and making the decision to quit is a personal journey. Can't hurt to keep reading and learning about the addiction though, right? Sometimes it's one little thing that triggers a decision. I hope you stay tuned in--Ex is for the quit curious, for pre-quitters and quitters. I appreciate your honesty.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Darjolu

pastedImage_1.png

Your Question is in Conversations sub-Community under the Questions. This is a bread-crumb to let you know where you are in the community.

pastedImage_2.png

I'm pointing to notifications above. You can look in your inbox to see replies to your posts and other content you are following.

EX Community - Your content.gif

Above you can see I am finding your username on the home page to see your profile. I also use search to locate your account and see content authored by you, content you participate in or content you're following.

EX Community - Your content Avatar Menu.gif

In the above image I view my content from my Avatar Drop-Down menu. You can view your content by going to your Avatar Menu and clicking the content option from the drop down.

Mark
EX Community  Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Darjolu

Ok, that is a little better.  Thank you Mark!

YoungAtHeart

Maybe use your current down times to read up on this addiction?  Something you learn might just give you the impetus to begin!  Hope so!  We will be here when you decide!

Nancy

Darjolu

I made a list of things that I can do instead of smoking.  I need to focus on that 10 minutes to let the urge pass.  I did it once, but then it came back.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

This takes real effort on your part in the very early days, but then it gets easier and easier to do until getting past the crave is just something you DO!  Practice slow/deep breathing as an anxiety/stress reducer while you get ready to quit, going slower and deeper with each breath  - in through the nose, hold a bit, out through the mouth.  It is an always with you way to conquer a crave, too. 

Do get a copy of the Allen Carr book I recommended.  It helped me to understand what this addiction IS - and what it does to our bodies and minds.

Spend this time wisely - get ready, get set........................

Darjolu

Ok.  I will look for that book!