cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Darjolu

Prior to my Quit Date

Should I do anything special before my quit date?  Should I try to quit now, rather than two weeks from now?

Tags (1)
33 Replies
SuzyQ411

Welcome to the Ex Darjolu‌ ! There is so much good advice in these posts above.

The only additional advice I would add is to decide whether you want to quit now before doing the preparation suggested to you, or give yourself preparation time before your actual quit date. 

However, having a specific quit plan in writing is a necessary component whatever your choice.

Wishing you well.

~Suzy

elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten great advice already.  I strongly suggest that you jump into the reading and that you understand that quitting is a journey and not an event.  It has to be taken one day at a time.  Stay close to the site, read, read, read.

Best,

Ellen

MarilynH

How are you doing Darjolu? I just wanted to check in with you and say hi and let you know that we're all here to help you in any way we can.....

RoseH

You are in the right place Darjolu‌   Support is everything in the beginning of your quit!  Read all you can about the bad effects of Nicotine and Smoking on this website and on the internet...  Welcome!

Darjolu

I have to say, this is not one of the more technologically user-friendly social pages I have been on. LOL! Kind of difficult to navigate.  I only got here because I went to a previous email and clicked on it.  Not even really sure where on this site I would click on to get  to where I am right now.  LOL! 

maryfreecig

Never thought of Ex as a social website--but a life saver. Still, you are not the first to be frustrated by this site. I just kept clicking on pages until I became familiar. 

How are you doing with your prequit?

Darjolu

Well, I did buy a pack two days ago and smoked them all.  My triggers are boredom and relaxation.  I am doing work at home during the stay-at-home orders and I have a lot of down time so I find myself smoking more.  At least when I was working it was less than a pack a week, over the past 6 weeks I have been smoking 3 packs a week.  I NEVER did that in my life.  I do notice when I am busy I can take my mind off of cigs.  But I cannot seem to muster the energy to do that much voluntary work to not smoke. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

My post just disappeared.  I hate that.

I admire anyone quitting during this difficult time.   Don't give up, continue to read, and stay close.   Did you create your quit plan?  It's probably more important now that our lives are so different and  we're constantly being faced with the unexpected.   Having a plan in place and support from others builds confidence in your quit.  Remember it's one day at a time.  It's going to make it harder if you have cigarettes around--just too tempting.  

I was never on a site like this before.  I just learned as I want along.  The important thing is you know how to post.

We're still here for you.  

Barb

Darjolu

Yes, I created a Quit Plan.  But I have to be honest, I am finding this site dizzying.  I went to MY QUIT PLAN in the right hand corner but I do not see the same questions and answers that I filled out. I filled out some, then I had to finish it later.  I don't even know if I finished it or did it correctly. 

I read somewhere on here that if you can get past 21 days, the urge is almost gone.  Is that true? 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Physical cravings are said to subside  around 3 weeks. But everyone is different.  The psychological part of quitting is just as important.  For most people this will last longer.  Nicotine has changed our brain chemistry and it will take time for our bodies to adjust to the lack of nicotine as well as the other chemicals we ingested.   So keep reading and learn as much as you can.  Part of you quit plan is having the tools in place in advance.  Whatever they may be for you-walking, deep breathing, chewing on straws, etc.   A big part of quitting is creating new behaviors and associations that were associated with smoking in the past. 

See if this gets you back to where you worked on your plan.

Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX 

Barb

0 Kudos