cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cstoppa01

Preparing to quit vaping

This picture was my dad two years ago today. He was just a few weeks from passing. 9 months before he thought he had pulled a muscle in his back after moving but he always had pain somewhere in his body. Found out he had stage 4 liver cancer and metastatic lung cancer. He was a smoker. I quit cigs but started vaping after his diagnosis. I am now my journey to quitting vaping. I’v read Allen Carr’s book, I have health issues I know will clear if I stop. I’ve journaled, listened to experts, listed things I can do instead. I get freaked out when it’s my quit date. It’s been my friend during hard times. I’ve tried to quit a few times and I feel so foggy headed and emotional. Monday  7/22 is my quit date again, preparing myself for this. 

Labels (1)
14 Replies

I'm sorry for your loss. 

Honestly, there's not much difference, if at all between quitting smoking  or vaping.

Most people are not clear headed when they quit.

You have to un focus your routine = fuzzy

Do you have something that you like to do?

I played guitar at a friends 10 hours a day for two weeks.

That was my dopamine replacement.

You have to not argue with yourself.Self talk. "I don't do that anymore"

cstoppa01

Thank you for the reply and advice. I like to color, workout and hula hoop. Walk my dogs, things like that. I know I can use my time better, like cooking healthy  and cleaning, and definitely use my money better. I even hide it so no one will realize I quit anything. I got the tools just need to pull the trigger lol.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am sorry for your loss.  It looks like he was far too young to be gone so soon.  My sympathy.

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "vape."  I don't know what strength pods you are using, but you might begin by weaning yourself down if you are using a high mg one.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount.  That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable.  Make up your mind that you are going to get through the fogginess and other withdrawal symptoms one day at a time - and get through each day the best that you can.  It's not going to be easy, but it IS doable!

I am thrilled that you have read“The Easy Way to Stop Smoking," done a bunch of reading, listed things you can do instead of inhaling vapor.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

cstoppa01

Thank you so much!!

physical activity will replace the dopamine.  hula hoop.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Instead of freaking out, educate yourself about nicotine addiction and prepare your quit plan.  It has made quitting possible for so many.   I smoked for 50 years and have 16 months smoke free.  I never believed I could do it either.  What you're feeling is normal.   Most of us have felt that smoking was our friend.  After all, we've smoked for everything in our lives--happy times, sad times, stressful times, celebratory times, you name it.  So it will take some time and effort to adjust.  That's why it's so important to learn new associations with our activities instead of smoking.  Picking a quit date is the first phase of this journey.   It can be scary, but trust the people on this site that you can do it.   We're here for you.  Just reach out if need help.

Barb

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s cstoppa01 

So sorry for your loss...but now you have a chance to make his death not be in vain...you can honor him by doing what he could not...Quit smoking, vaping, etc., We are in this journey together...keep close to the support site for us to help you...also, you received good advice and information from those above me...You can do this...it takes hard work, but doable...~ Colleen 229 DOF 

elvan

Welcome to EX, I cannot possibly add anything to what has already been advised by the people above this comment.  You are in the right place...I smoked for 47 years and did a LOT of damage to my body but thanks to this site, I have been been quit for over five years now.  I did not think I would ever be able to quit.  This site, the education about addiction, the support, and your own commitment will carry you through.

I am so sorry about your father, he would be very proud of you for getting on this journey and taking care of yourself.

Ellen

cstoppa01

Thank you sincerely.