cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

stevewm72

Please if you can help me quit smoking

i am 46 years old have been smoking a pack a day since i was a teenager and i have had high blood pressure for 20 years and in 2009 was diagnosed with avascular necrosis and had to have my right hip replaced and in 2011 had to have left hip replaced and the right hip that was replaced in 2009 turned out to be the metal on metal that got recalled so in 2013 had to have right hip replaced again and in 2016 had triple hernia surgery and the dr damaged a nerve in my left groin area so i am unable to work, they implanted a spine simulator in 2017 to help with the nerve pain and just recently last couple weeks have been having chest pain and last friday march 15 i went to dr and they sent me to the ER where they did couple EKG's and sent me home with nitroglycerin tablets and i have to follow up with cardiologist this coming thursday and i know i have to quit smoking and my question is will quitting put additional stress on my heart i know i have a partially blocked artery i believe its the one going to my left arm and i wanna quit smoking but i am worried it could cause additional stress on my heart i also suffer from depression and anxiety from not being able to work so for the last 3 years i have got what i guess you could call a routine i wake up and get coffee and sit in my garage and smoke and drink coffee sometimes i will sit in garage all day i have a tv and i watch music videos or just listen to music and the biggest problem with quitting smoking is how do i get out of that routine with my nerve pain i cant just put shoes on and go for a walk some days its rough to even get the mail so if anyone has any ideas that can help me out i would greatly appreciate it i have 2 adult daughters and a beautiful 16 month old granddaughter that i would like to see grow up. I am on a bunch of medications for blood pressure, cholesterol, depression, anxiety, muscle relaxers,and meds to help me sleep. I already have nicotine patches to quit i am just worried that i may put more stress on my issues i already have thank you in advance for any help you can give me and i am sorry this is so long i just figured it may be easier if you know what i am dealing with health wise   

28 Replies
Barbscloud

Glad to hear you've already begun changing up your routine.  It's so important for a successful quit.  I had previously quit smoking in my cars and then more recently in my house.  That was one less thing to deal with when I came to the decision to quit. Having a plan with what to do with all the money adds a fun aspect to quitting.  Some people save it for one particular thing.  I've used it for different things over past year.  Right now, lots of it is going to the dog I just rescued.  Stay close to the site in the meantime and prepare for the big day.  Let us know how your cath goes.  All that stuff makes me nervous too.

Barb

elvan

I am really glad that you are changing up your routine, that's a big step.  Please don't allow yourself to put off your quit any longer than when the cath is done.  You will be doing yourself a HUGE favor.  

Ellen

Barbara145

Welcome.  You can do this.  A much better life awaits you.

Sandy-9-17-17

I totally get what you're dealing with......How could you not think that quitting smoking would not be a good thing to do!?  

go to Getting Ready to Quit | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and start tracking your cigarettes while you're still smoking.  I know I learned a lot about my smoking "habits" when I used that.  Identify your triggers and think of different ways to tackle each one.  I know when I first quit, I had my homework to do because at the time I thought life in general triggered me.  I learned so much about myself by using that.  you'll see the times you light up and it also gives you those few minutes to think while you're logging in, filling out the form, picking out your choices.  Be sure to blog and if you're uncomfortable with that, then keep a journal at home.  A cheapy notebook will do.  Write down your feelings, frustrations, what you are thinking about at that exact time that you're wanting to light up.  Understanding the whys helps us conquer what we want to change or defeat.  Poke around on this site and look at the different groups and read, read, read and read some more.  I know I went back and looked at some of the older members on here, the ones that have been quit the longest, and read on their profiles the blogs they created from when they first quit.  Welcome to our little community.  They sure helped me quit 3 1/2 years ago and still inspire me.  

stevewm72

well an update, i quit smoking on April 2 my cath test ended up being a double bypass surgery which didn't go well i coded on the table and was out for 6 days on a ventilator was lucky i woke up and after all that there is no way i will ever smoke again, this is my last chance they wanted to do quad bypass but my arteries are only half the size they supposed to be so they could only find 2 that were usable and i still have some blockages that I'm told there is nothing to do about them i have to change my diet and cut out the bad foods (anything that tastes good) but I'm alive and after 18 days in hospital and rehab center i was able to come home i lost 30lbs in those 18 days and am still pretty weak in upper body been walking everyday as much as damaged nerve can handle and start cardiac therapy next week hopefully get my strength back, i hope none of you ever have to go through this it is not fun at all 

anaussiemom

Keep on Keepin on your PT.  Stay in each moment of PT it helps a lot.  

Blessings of quick healing Prayers and Strength.

Kim

Barbscloud

OMG.  Thank goodness you're still with us.    I doesn't take much time to lose you body strength when you've been laid up like that.  Keep up the rehab and don't forget if you need support, reach out.  We're here for you.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

I am so happy to hear you made it through the surgery and are on the mend  I, too, went through a surgery that didn't go well and ended up in a rehab facility for two months  When I finally got home, I couldn't even stand up unassisted.  I made it all the way back - and so can you!  Keep walking, even a little each day, and work hard at the cardiac therapy.  Changing your diet and keeping moving will go a long way toward getting you back to where you want to be.

I KNOW smoking is not in your plans - but do accept that there is never such a thing as "just one" to an addict.  It will always be followed by another, and yet another until you are right back to being a full-time smoker.  There is no wiggle room with this.  Please blog "HELP" here if the going gets too tough and wait for us to talk you off the ledge.  For you now, it really is a matter of life or death.

Let us know if you have questions or need support  We are here for you.

Nancy