cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

stevewm72

Please if you can help me quit smoking

i am 46 years old have been smoking a pack a day since i was a teenager and i have had high blood pressure for 20 years and in 2009 was diagnosed with avascular necrosis and had to have my right hip replaced and in 2011 had to have left hip replaced and the right hip that was replaced in 2009 turned out to be the metal on metal that got recalled so in 2013 had to have right hip replaced again and in 2016 had triple hernia surgery and the dr damaged a nerve in my left groin area so i am unable to work, they implanted a spine simulator in 2017 to help with the nerve pain and just recently last couple weeks have been having chest pain and last friday march 15 i went to dr and they sent me to the ER where they did couple EKG's and sent me home with nitroglycerin tablets and i have to follow up with cardiologist this coming thursday and i know i have to quit smoking and my question is will quitting put additional stress on my heart i know i have a partially blocked artery i believe its the one going to my left arm and i wanna quit smoking but i am worried it could cause additional stress on my heart i also suffer from depression and anxiety from not being able to work so for the last 3 years i have got what i guess you could call a routine i wake up and get coffee and sit in my garage and smoke and drink coffee sometimes i will sit in garage all day i have a tv and i watch music videos or just listen to music and the biggest problem with quitting smoking is how do i get out of that routine with my nerve pain i cant just put shoes on and go for a walk some days its rough to even get the mail so if anyone has any ideas that can help me out i would greatly appreciate it i have 2 adult daughters and a beautiful 16 month old granddaughter that i would like to see grow up. I am on a bunch of medications for blood pressure, cholesterol, depression, anxiety, muscle relaxers,and meds to help me sleep. I already have nicotine patches to quit i am just worried that i may put more stress on my issues i already have thank you in advance for any help you can give me and i am sorry this is so long i just figured it may be easier if you know what i am dealing with health wise   

28 Replies
maryfreecig

First order of business, it seems to me, is to get yourself in the right frame of mind to quit--a yes I can and will quit frame of mind. Starting a quit in panic and fear that you might have a heart attack from the stress of quitting is not a good idea at all. One way not to be alone in your garage, is to participate at Ex, read, comment, tell more of your story. 

Given what you have said about your health problems, please try to find your willingness to quit rather than feeling like you must quit or else. Willingness  will help you cope with the stress--and making a decision to quit it first and foremost in quitting (NRT, medication, smart turkey, hospital outpatient programs, online support are vital but still require a decision to quit in order for them to work the best).

You've been putting off a decision to quit (understandable because that is what addiction does to us)but it seems all along you've wanted to quit. Stay strong, keep learning about nicotine addiction, make a plan (a plan is something you can start as soon as you are ready and add to it as often as you like til your quit time arrives).

Ditto on what Nancy said...definitely talk to your doc.

Planning, quitting, staying quit happen one day at a time only. 

elvan

Welcome to EX.  Please pay attention to everything that YoungAtHeart‌ has shared with you.  I believe that the most important parts of quitting are education about the addiction so you recognize how it is controlling you and that part of your recovery will be learning to feel your feelings and not stuff them, a second, but equally important part of your recovery is support from people who understand nicotine addiction and that would be the people on this site.  The third part is all you, it is your commitment to go forward without something that is making you believe that you cannot live without it.  You CAN...

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself and it is the nicotine addiction that is telling you that stopping will put more stress on you when actually, smoking is INCREASING your stress and not relieving it.  No one with any heart issues should smoke...you put yourself at higher risk.  I understand the hip pain...I have a husband who was diagnosed with avascular necrosis and had a hip replacement when he was 37, he is now 67 and suffers from intense, chronic pain probably because he needs a NEW replacement.  He had a massive heart attack in January of 2018 and had triple bypass, he is on a slew of cardiac meds and he had a metal stent put in January of 2019 because of another blockage.  He is supposed to be exercising regularly because that will help with hypertension and will help the heart to increase blood flow.  Because of his hip pain, he has a lot of difficulty exercising, however, I believe that there are many exercises that would not increase the pain because they would build muscles around the site.  I have rheumatoid arthritis, need bilateral shoulder replacements, and have degenerative disc disease that is so severe that my spine curves and rotates inward.  In addition to that...BECAUSE I smoked, I have COPD and I had the upper lobes of both of my lungs removed because they were so damaged.  I struggle to breathe every day...I have to sleep with oxygen on, the pain is constant BUT, I work out five days a week.  I use a stationary, recumbent bike, I had to work my way up to 10 miles a day, that takes me about an hour, three days a week, I lift free weights...nothing of any significant weight because I am not able to lift much but I do lots of repetitions, I also do leg lifts while I am standing and I do exercises to strengthen my back.  It hurt like crazy when I started this after I had my lung surgery but I have always worked out regularly so that helped.  I think the best thing you could possibly do would be to work out in a pool.  I do that in the summer, I cannot do it in the winter because I cannot breathe with chlorine in a pool in an enclosed space.  I DO find that it is MUCH easier to work out in water than on land...being in the water displaces 2/3 of your body weight so you can do things much more easily.

Bottom line, my friend, you need to quit smoking, you need to get out of that garage unless you convert it into a gym.  You are way too young to surrender...

Ellen

stevewm72

I do have a 20’ round 52” deep pool in my backyard but have to wait for Pennsylvania weather to change so I can open it up again 

elvan

Seriously, I think you will find exercising in water will open a whole new world for you.  I have water weights which look like two rolls of toilet paper on a bar...instead of lifting them, you push them down and hold them there...doing leg lifts and even walking fast in water is an amazing work out.  My shoulders will not let me swim but I can use a noodle and go back and forth and I can stand and do the motions for swimming without actually moving my lower body.  The first couple of times I work out in water after a winter of working out at home, I actually get sore and it never fails to surprise me.  I don't sit around all winter.  Water workouts are amazing.  If there is an indoor pool that you can use, it seems like there are always classes going on.  I just can't breathe and breathing is kind of important.  Please let us know what happens with the cardiologist...probably a bunch of tests will be ordered, but keep in mind that you need to know what is going on.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Just wanted to say welcome.  You've already gotten great advice.  If you need assistance, reach out.  We're here for you.

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting is doable.  Education is the key to successfully quit. 

Make quitting smoking your number one priority. Start by getting rid of anything associated with smoking such as ashtrays, lighter etc.  You can do this if you make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke is a good beginning.  No matter what never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different.  SINAO smoking is not an option.  One day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough.

anaussiemom

Prayers sent your way.  Read lots of information here.  The key is knowledge.   You have been thru a lot.  Cigarettes, won't make anything better.  Quitting is the best thing you can do to change your life upward.

stevewm72

went to cardiologist yesterday he scheduled a heart cath test for april 2nd so hopefully they can get in there and find something and fix it, thank you all for the support i talked with him about quitting smoking and came to the conclusion to set my quit date after the heart cath i am not supposed to do anything strenuous or stressful till after the heart cath hopefully everything goes good till then i got a pendent like thing off amazon to keep my nitroglycerin pills in and easier to carry was told to have them on me at all times just in case, and in august of 2015 i lost a best friend kinda like a brother to a heart attack he came home from work and emptied his pockets on the counter and went to the basement to do some laundry and had a heart attack and died, his nitroglycerin pills where among the stuff he emptied out of his pocket before going to the basement. and again i would like to thank all of you for your support i know i can beat this 

Barbscloud

Glad you were able to see a cardiologist and have the cath scheduled.  You've got a lot on your plate physically and emotionally.  I'm sure your health would benefit from quitting smoking.  Did you discuss with the cardiologist about quitting now or waiting until after the cath?

Barb

stevewm72

gonna wait till after cath with the anxiety i already suffer from if i quit now the added stress may not help me i am already stressed about cath test i have a tendency to overthink everything to the point of almost going into a panic attack, but i'm not sitting in garage all day anymore, i have a theater/media room where I've been having my coffee and listening to my music or watching movie or TV occasionally going to the garage for a smoke. and i am looking at all the movies i will be able to buy with the money i spend on cigarettes I've already started a list. you people are awesome i know i can kick this and the help and support i've already gotten from all of you in incredible  it's nice knowing i dont have to go through it alone, thank you all again for your kind words and wisdom and support for a total stranger