cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karenjones

People who say they are scared of quitting

I see so often on this site people who say they are scared of quitting. I just can't understand that, I would think that people would be scared of continuing to smoke. What am I missing?

33 Replies

"I think I was afraid that I'd be uncomfortable and crave a cigarette for the rest of my life.  Also that I wouldn't be the same person any more.  That I'd be changed and wonder who this non-smoking person was. Feeling like a fish out of water forever."

I agree with Giulia‌. Instead I found that I am becoming the person I didn't know I wanted to be even at 65.

Keep on keepin on,

pastedImage_2.png

I was the rebel without a cause smoker.  I'll die with my cigarettes in hand.  No one is going to tell me when to quit.  That kind of mentality.  I'd see the commercials on TV, the posts on Facebook, the warnings on the pack.  Oh, that will never happen to me.  but see way back then, I only saw this as a habit.  To be honest, I had two reasons to finally quit and quit for good.  One was the price of cigarettes and two was the problem catching my breath and the ease of breathing.  Now, maybe I dodged a bullet and don't have any health effects and maybe I do.  Time will tell on that whole scenario.  But I can tell you that the thought of quitting scared the living heck out of me for the very reason of the unknown.  There is nothing written anywhere of a precise guide book that tells me this will happen here and this will happen here.  In three days, you'll feel this.  There was always this "might" happen factor to the readings.  You might feel this or you might feel that.  In exactly 10 days, this will be completely gone and never to appear ever again.  But smoking doesn't work that way.  I think why this site works is because it deals with the whys not the mights.  The reasons for why you smoke.  are you using it to cover up something, hide something, stifle something?  Are you using it to comfort you, bolster you?  what are you using it for?  Also this site is a discussion amongst smokers, people who have walked the walk and are guiding people along the path.  it's an amazing community that I'm proud to be part of

Gwenivere

Guess I amthe odd one out again.  I was never afraid of quitting, but then, I neve planned to.  I liked it.  In my mind I still do.  It doesn’t disgust me or bother me to be around it except I can’t do it.  Never had any influence on my feelings one way or another.  I reached for one crying or laughing.  It’s only affecting my psychologically now.  I factor in this was forced on me so my motivation going in was not fully my own.  If I could, I’d still be a smoker.  My life was actually simpler then.  This quit has messed up other conditions that were stable and not related to smoking.  Now they are by mucking with it.  I’m 7 months in and put this as anther topic.  I just hadn’t thought about a fear sIde til I read this.  So nope, never had any and people did quit around me.  None talked about the hell of it or didn’t have a hard time.  Never heard of withdrawl syndrome.  Sure know about it now.  I quit once in my 20’s for a few months to get over pneumonia and then went back.  But I didn’t have all the conditions I have in my 60's.  Always interesting to read everyone’s experiences.

Barbscloud

Fear is common thread that keeps people from quitting.   I'm glad at least you didn't have to experience that!

Barb