cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karenjones

People who say they are scared of quitting

I see so often on this site people who say they are scared of quitting. I just can't understand that, I would think that people would be scared of continuing to smoke. What am I missing?

33 Replies
bonniebee

I remember feeling afraid to quit smoking I really thought that the feeling of withdrawal would make  me lose my mind . I got over that particular fear when I joined a quit smoking group that challenged us to go just 48 hours without a cigarette . I decided to try it and if it got to bad I would just light up . I made it the 48 hours, I did not make it past that Mark at that time. It took me another 5 or 6 tries and a other 30 years of smoking to get to where I am today over 3 years free !  But just by trying to quit for 48 hours took away the fear of quitting . 

if you are  reading this and have similar fears I challenge you to try the 48 hours smoke free challenge even if you use an NRT to Do it . Try it with a buddy of possible .

Fear is the most natural of the feelings generated by Addiction. It begins the minute we aren't sure that we'll have our next fix on time. Even as smokers it motivated us to count our supplies and strategize about how we'll get our next pack. Then the minute that one even vaguely thinks of giving up smoking - it goes into hard drive with the sole purpose of compelling us to throw that idea out the window right now! 

Fear creates all kinds of scenarios in the smoker's head when they contemplate freedom. It will be too hard, it will be miserable, I'll be lonely, people will hate me for being grumpy, quitting may in some unimaginable way make me sick,life will be unbearable...whatever it takes to force the idea out of our heads! We instantly reach that conclusion and then think of ways to "prove it" to ourselves. Just look at past failures, just look at so-and-so, just imagine how the cravings will never quit.....

That is the BIGGEST NicoLie of ALL!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2011/04/29/fear?commentID=395605#comme... 

TW517

My biggest fear was failure.  I had relapsed on 6 previous quits, and was afraid I would do it again.  And if I did fail once more, I was sure I would never try again.  I put off my quit date 3 times over 45 days.  I was beginning to doubt I could commit to this, when I got a really bad chest cold.  I literally could not take even one drag off a cigarette for 2 days.  When I finally tried to smoke an entire cigarette, I coughed so bad, I thought I was gonna die.  I destroyed the rest of my pack right then, and never looked back.

Barb102

These are all great fears. I think mine is the fear of failing. Fear of knowing that I should not smoke ever again and changing a life that is so familiar to me.  I fear failure the first year when I will go through every holiday vacation and all of life’s stresses and heartbreak   But it’s not stopping me from my quit. NOPE

Barb

indingrl

It is the unknown.....I used NICOTINE for 38 years.....habits...regardless of warnings.....etc....comfort in habits....just talking about ME not anyone else....I was comfortable in my addiction....it was ME....quitting was tons of fears for ME....would I be bored....what would I do...what would I be...say....too comfortable in MY own skin....forget it....I was use to being in denial and addiction....I was high and insane!!! I was comfortable in who cares.....I NEED to escape this HELL inside ME....most was fear of what will happen to ME....the UNKNOWN FOR ME.

jtheo

Fear of inability to cope. I couldn't remember life without a cigarette. EVERYTHING I've done since age 13 was done with a smoke. I was emotionally stunted. Fear of facing life on lifes terms.

TBenyi

I have the same issue. I don't really remember how it felt to not smoke. My first cigarette was at age 6 given to me by a babysitter. Then at 11 I smoked full time.

0 Kudos
elvan

OMG...age SIX and then smoking full time at age 11...that completely flips me out.  I started at age 17...I cannot imagine starting earlier, for one thing, I think my parents would have beaten me senseless.  Your babysitter should be sought out and...I honestly cannot think of a punishment that is big enough.  I am SO SORRY that you were exposed to smoking so early.

0 Kudos
desiree465

I agree with everyone it's the fear of failure and the fear of having to cope with life without smoking. Fear is an emotion that kinda can't be helped. You're afraid to stop but you're also afraid to no stop. Most people I think have that emotion when they quit. You're lucky that you didn't. 

karenjones

I guess because I was diagnosed with cancer from smoking that it over rode any other feeling, the fear of death and not being prepared to die.  Maybe I was lucky. I think maybe I was.

0 Kudos