cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Peddler

Outdoors?

I'm on day 2 of this journey and I have just one question for now.  I absolutely love being outside. Me and my family are very outdoorsy people.  We camp, kayak/canoe, hike, play in the water, ect.  So here is what the problem is.  I associate outside with smoking.  I've never smoked indoors so all my smoking has been outside.  Now I feel like I cant go outside.  I haven't been outside the last two days other than to work and back. That's driving me crazy!!!  How can I be outside and not be driven crazy wanting a smoke?

11 Replies
Sootie

You have a HUGE trigger there------the wide, wide out of doors!

I hear you because we also like to be outside----canoes, kayaks, hiking, fishing.

When my husband and I were still smoking our "waterproof" pouch for the cigarettes got a hole in it. We never smoked going down the river in white water (how could anyone?) But, when we got out of the water we would lay on a bank and smoke. We were FREAKING OUT when we found out the cigarettes were wet.

Now----we lay back on that bank and laugh about how stupid it was to be doing something so energetic and healthy and just FUN.......and then end it with.....................smoking?

My advice is just to ride through the cravings you'll get....DON'T GIVE IN! Know that most craves don't last more than 5 minutes....it feels endless.....but it's really just 5 minutes. Stay Strong. And I promise you that ALL of your outdoor activities will be so much better once you enjoy them free of smoking.

elvan

I remember feeling that way because I didn't smoke inside either.  I found that going outside with a PURPOSE helped me a LOT.  I would go outside and take deep breaths in and hold and then exhale very slowly through pursed lips.  I also bought bubble juice and blew bubbles and watched them float away.  I was able to go for walks when I first quit but, alas, COPD is progressive and even though I am not smoking, it is still causing damage.

I think Sootie‌ has offered some great advice...think how much MORE you will enjoy those outdoor acitivities when you are not puffing away on a cigarette.

It DOES get better and better.  Welcome to EX.  This is a powerful addiction and recovery is one day at a time and sometime one FEELING at a time.  Make NEW associations with being outside...appreciate the fresh air, the breezes, your freedom.

Ellen