cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

it's hard when u luv the outdoors

I can't  go out due to not being able to breathe from my copd. bout go crazy. using Nicorette to help n lollipops but bored with tv n games. praying the weather breaks so I can go back to my camper at the campground.

0 Kudos
17 Replies

Meat nicotine  lozenges  

0 Kudos
Gilamonster

Nicotine lozenges are what I used 1st two months of quitting. Those and this site got me through.

JACKIE1-25-15

I am sorry that your COPD is causing you not to be able to go outside.  I understand it can be very boring. I hope the weather does change for the better for you.  In the meantime, you may have to really think outside of the box.  But we have others here that suffer and can give you some ideas. elvan, Thomas3.20.2010

YoungAtHeart

How about a jigsaw or crossword puzzle to work on?  Do you knit or crochet?  It's never too early to start on holiday presents.  LOTS of ideas to copy on the internet.  How about marching in place to get in some exercise - or look for "Hasfit" videos online?  Keeping occupied is really important when you first quit.  Are there drawers or closets that need a good cleaning out?  Maybe watch some dog/cat funny videos, or old comedy sketches on the internet (Bob Newhard, Carol Burnett never fail to bring a smile!)?  Call and catch up with a friend or two?

You can do some of the recommended reading on quitting smoking, and read blogs here to pass some time, too.  There is a LOT of good information, advice and experience contained here.

Just stay busy - boredom is to be avoided!

Nancy

My best suggestion is yoga. Yoga sustains healthy breathing. It gets you into a mind-body-spirit connection which is good for anybody but especially good when you have a serious illness. It's doable. It brings you into the moment which relieves withdrawal as well as stress caused by breathlessness, coughing, weakness, and other COPD symptoms. It's self expressive. It lifts up your mood. Another option is Tai chi for all of the reasons above. It's your choice but I can assure you that sitting in a chair all day is very unhealthy for COPDers! Yes, I know how it feels. We must make effort against the extreme fatigue and lethargy if we want to feel better! Get physical!

JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you, Thomas.  I really did not know what to tell her since she was bored and I am more of an active person and did not know what she may be capable of.  I will remember these.  I do yoga occasionally and It does relieve the stress.  Thanks for responding. 

I could probably do yoga. I have a bad back so not alot of other exercises I can do. Ty

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

It does make it hard not being able to go outside.  Personally, I hate this hot and humid weather--I actually prefer winter to humidity.  May sound crazy, but I discovered video games a couple of years ago when my mother was in the hospital.  I'm kind of hooked--they're fun, challenging, and the time passes quickly.

elvan

I cannot spend much time outside but I do go to a pool in the country that belongs to my friend.  The humidity is always lower there and there is always a breeze.  I get bored with TV too but I do watch some things on Netflix, I spend a LOT of time here, I exercise, I look through what old photos I have, I draw, I can still look out the window.  It's hot, there is no doubt about it, I am not a fan of hot weather even if there isn't this oppressive humidity but it's not in my control.  It will break soon...of course, it will also come back.  My friend says to remember that it is summer.  Guess that's her way of being positive...whatever.

We are here...read blogs, you will find many that are not boring in the least and as you reach out to others, they will reach back to you.

Ellen