cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rj_

Our Greatest Fear Is Fear Itself

Hello All, I'd like everyone to share in this post, especially anyone with a significant time free.
I have come to believe that the greatest issue of giving up our addictive substance, nicotine, is the fear of the unknown. Or fear based on short time withdrawl.
We have all at one time or another of our active use found ourselves short of our next fix either by choice or not. Either option resulted in withdraw, and we all know what that is and what if felt like. So we continually gave in to the withdrawl and used again to end that withdrawl.
More and more nicotine addicts are discovering if we fight through the urge to use to end the withdrawl we learn that the withdrawl did not kill or make us miserable for the rest of our lives as the junkie thinking would have had us believe.
Exactly opposite of that we find once the worst of the withdrawl has past, we are continually and correctly choosing not to use again. Each time we ignore a situational crave or examine it and then dismiss it for what it was we become stonger in our commitment to stay nicotine free.
We also find that inner peace will come, without the nicotine coursing through our blood constanty falling and calling for more we find our healing will begin and continue.
We have also found through personal experience, and hearing others experience that no matter how long you are free of nicotine a small use will most likely result in full blown relapse.
I do not know the source and this is a paraphrase, but, The real measure of the addictiveness of nicotine is not how hard it is to quit, but how easy it is to start again. One of the most difficult things to accept is personal flaws. No one likes to acknowlege their personal short comings, regardless of what they are.
Through a series of self examination steps we choose to either improve those flaws or ignore them and go on with life.
The problem is with nicotine is that to improve we must make a certain hard acceptance, We must face the fact we are addicts, junkies what ever term you choose to apply.
We must accept that while we are using we had no control over the impulse, we will use to end the withdrawl that goes with failure to use again.
As addicts we must digilantly apply the lessons learned by ourselves and others.
We must first educate ourselves, and then dedicate and commit ourselves, we must do it for ourselves, and hold only ourselves responsible.
We must choose to not puff or dip or ingest in any way daily, or hourly or by the minute if necessary.
Only then can we conquer the fear of fear Itself.
Stay Free NTAP
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nan7

What you say makes perfect sense to me. That is, that the withdrawal we bump into between cigarettes is what we fear when we quit. I do remember that the few times I couldn't get to cigarette because I was on an airplane..or in a meeting... the nasty crave did actually pass. In fact, after 3 hours, I remember feeling pretty good, it actually kind of scared me! But went back to the cig, because, I was vitually uneducated with regard to quitting. Had no idea how to quit and that it was not THAT bad. Interesting flashback. Thanks
0 Kudos
barbara42

How easy it is to start again, if we would all give a minuit to see that as so true, there would be a lot less bacsliders in this addiction. We all have to be more stubborn than the nicodemons PEACE!
0 Kudos
SaraSmile

LOVED IT, RJ!
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
rj_

The best part about education,
Now I realize I woke every morning in near full blown withdrawl, fuzzy headed, cotton mouthed, blurry eyed, I sucked down a third pack of cigarettes and a pot of coffee to feel "normal" and get my serum nicotine level to my operating level, and wondered daily how non smokers ever got started without the fix and it never sunk in that it was withdrawl.
Wow, what an idiot I was to fear the wrong idea that I would forever feel like that if I did not smoke.

Education is the best. RJ
0 Kudos

Its A Nasty Habit Alright!

But, beatable with the right attitude and choice.
0 Kudos
rj_

I'd never refer to it again as a habit, picking your nose is a nasty habit, if you quit you don't have withdrawl,
Nicotine use is an addiction, plain, simple, true.
Best to ya,
RJ

Credit for the below goes to John, a multi year quitter and nicotine cessation counsler

I am a "real" nicotine addict !

I’ve now read twice this morning where members still feel that they are simply suffering from a "nasty little habit." This may come as a shock to you but YOU ARE A DRUG ADDICT! That’s right, look in the mirror and you’ll see an honest to goodness drug addict looking right back at you!
The phrase "nasty little habit" is just more junkie thinking. Such soft fuzzy words are used to self minimize the hard cold reality of being chemically married and dependent upon nicotine. It’s much easier to tell yourself that you just have a "nasty little habit." The warmth of the phrase is akin to that found in the painless word "slip."

Failing to use turn signals while driving is a "nasty little habit" and so is picking your nose, cracking your knuckles or even losing your temper. But, you will not experience physical withdrawal symptoms if you abruptly start using turn signals, or stop nose picking, cracking your knuckles or losing your temper.

Chemical addiction does foster habits but it does so by forcing each of us select patterns for the regular delivery of our addictive drug. Our addiction fathered our drug feeding habits, not the other way around! We would never have developed a habit of sucking smoke into our lungs while talking on the telephone, or after a meal, unless something inside prior cigarettes had compelled us to do so.

Nicotine dependency is extremely dependable. Within two hours of our last puff of nicotine, our blood serum nicotine level would be cut by half and our brain's subtle (at first) signals to again feed our endless cycle of need would begin arriving. To call nicotine addiction a habit is like calling a young child a parent.

But it didn't take any two hours for my mind to generate the anxieties needed to compel me to smoke more nicotine. At three packs a day, if I was on the phone and had not topped off my nicotine tank in the past 15 to 20 minutes, then, like call waiting, a second message would arrive reminding me of my need to feed. If our meal lasted for more than 30 minutes then the command for a new nico-fix would come! It limited uninterrupted driving time, romance, learning, exercise (if you could call it that), work, living and every single aspect of my life.

Yes, it was always time for another fix. Yes, we developed habits but not just for the sake of having habits. There were only two choices - smoke more nicotine or prepare for chemical withdrawal - which fear born of ignorance and multiple prior failures made far more challenging than necessary.

Even when we do break free from the chemical dependency which fathered our feeding habits, we are still forced to deal with thousands of stored memories of what it was like to crave more nicotine. Thank goodness that all those memories belong to someone I am not!

I wish it was just a "nasty little habit," I truly do. Sadly, I am a recovered nicotine addict! But, I prefer the term ex-smoker. It reminds me that although my comfort runs deep, I am still just one puff away from three packs a day. If I want to stay free, and me, all I have to do is NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long!
John - The Gold Club
0 Kudos