cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MaltaCatLady8

One week as a non-smoker

Jump to solution

My last cigarette was a week ago - I am using the nicotine patch - it is weird but on day 6 I had this overwhelming craving for a cigarette! I did not give into the craving, but wow - it was something! I know the nicotine patch is helping the physiological aspect of nicotine addiction, but dealing with the emotional addiction requires a resolve to not give in to the barking of the nicotine dogs in my brain. The craving hit me after I ate dinner - it was as if there was a glitch in my brain. I have to keep reminding myself that this is going to get better and my heart and lungs are healing. There are things I am doing to help me deal with the cravings - journaling about my feelings, walking meditation, I also bought incense sticks and this may sound weird, but watching the smoke curl away from the tip of the burning stick helps to calm me. Changing from coffee to a spice tea, cutting down on sugar, drinking more water.  I will be free of this addiction! 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
biscuit9

Hang in there.  I had my worst craving on day 7.  Quit day 152 and you should feel very proud that you have 7 nicotine free days!  Truly an achievement!  In my case, I quit cold turkey and found the hated vape pen, puffed on it, came to my senses, and threw that thing out.  Feel proud of what you have done and yes, those cravings can feel too much, BUT with planning you can get through them.  Carry on, sometimes one hour at a time.  It is worth it not to have that monkey on your back.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Barbscloud

@MaltaCatLady8 Congrats on your first week smoke free.  You're doing great. It will take some time for the cravings to lessen, but it will happen.   Be patient with yourself as you move forward on this journey.

Nothing is weird.  Whatever is takes for you to get through these early days is all that matters.  

Barbscloud_0-1676640614280.jpeg

Barb

MaltaCatLady8

Thank you, Barb - your support is so helpful! 

biscuit9

Hang in there.  I had my worst craving on day 7.  Quit day 152 and you should feel very proud that you have 7 nicotine free days!  Truly an achievement!  In my case, I quit cold turkey and found the hated vape pen, puffed on it, came to my senses, and threw that thing out.  Feel proud of what you have done and yes, those cravings can feel too much, BUT with planning you can get through them.  Carry on, sometimes one hour at a time.  It is worth it not to have that monkey on your back.  

0 Kudos
MaltaCatLady8

Thank you for your words of encouragement! It sometimes is one hour at a time. I tell myself I made it through that craving - I will make it through the next one, and in time, they will lessen.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex! Congratulations on your quit. Thanks for sharing how you are working your quit. One day at a time you can do this.

0 Kudos
MaltaCatLady8

Thank you for your words of encouragement - they are so helpful!

0 Kudos