Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

angeleyes

OMG IF THIS DOESNT GET YOU TO QUIT NOTHEN WILL " I QUIT FOR GOOD "

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dharmagirl

This is fantastic. Thank you so much for posting it!
dharmagirl

One month tonight!!
0 Kudos
Giulia

Yes. This rather says it all, doesn't it. Thanks for it. It's some place to come when the cravings are bad and you just want that one. This will remind you why that's a lie.
0 Kudos
angeleyes

Yep I put it on my page and I am gonna watch It everytime I get A craving !
0 Kudos
dharmagirl

Hi Julie -

Please make this committment first: that you will come to this site every day and explore all it's nooks and crannies that contain people's stories. Because hidden within the stories are the signposts that will speak to you as an individual and show you each step you need to take next.

Quitting seems so daunting, frightening and difficult when viewed from a smoker's persepective. But it's one of those mysterious things, how different it appears when viewed from the other side, the perspective of the x-smoker. Yes, it did require planning and changing several aspects of my life, and yes, there were times in the early days when I couldn't think of anything else. Even so the process of quitting smoking is not nearly as bad as we imagine it will be. It is not physically painful. It does seem overwhelming at first because for a while you will probably feel cut adrift in an unfamiliar and not very comfortable world. But think about it. That feeling doesn't last. It comes to visit less and less frequently. Life goes on. You'll find you are the same person you were, only better.

I know you are capable of doing this, because believe me, if I can do this, anyone can! Have you made any definite plans about quitting? Such as: have you set a date? Are you reading books about quitting? Do you think you will use NRT (patches, gum, etc.)? Are you talking to you family and friends about quitting? Have you tried to quit before? I am now two months smoke free! I am so thrilled I can hardly express it.
As much as I can I will be here for you.
Blessings, Dharmagirl
0 Kudos
debbie53

Beautiful! Just Beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.
Me
0 Kudos
karen44

Wow!
0 Kudos
dharmagirl

Hi Julie ~ Yeah, I understand the herb thing. I used to teach classes in wholistic health . . . and I smoked. Addictions can exist in us even when they are a complete departure from who we really are. It's another motivation to quit. It feels really good to have the different parts of my life more congruent. Do you know the meaning of the word "dharma"?
Dharmagirl
0 Kudos
dharmagirl

Hi Julie,

It is an ancient Sanskrit term that is used in eastern religions to mean a person's duty to live within the laws of God and nature, or sometimes to mean your work in the world when done in a righteous way. I think it is wonderful that you named your daughter Dharma Jean. She has a lovely and honorable name. If you want to look at the word dharma as related to our struggles with smoking, I believe that one of the reasons that we feel so inherently unhappy and struggle-filled when we are smoking is that the addiction keeps us from being able to be the best that we can be in the world; it keeps us from "fullfilling our dharma." If ideas of this nature are appealing to you I recommend that you get Depak Chopra's book Freedom from Addiction. I found it to be one of my biggest helpers. I followed his suggestions about many ways to honor and take care of myself in the weeks before I quit. I truly believe it is one of the reasons that my quit was so do-able and that I never felt out of controll.
Blessings,
Dharmagirl
0 Kudos