cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Katstravmom

No patches, no answering texts

Jump to solution

I am just having all kinds of problems.i can't answer the texts sent to me. I can't manage to get patches gum or any help that way. What am I supposed to do. I have to quit for surgery. Cold turkey is impossible. And I am not able to afford any help. Can you help me?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tracy0924 wrote:

My apologies @CommunityAdmin . I did not realize this. Thank you for pointing it out

No worries 🙂 Wish we could offer it to everyone. But there are options if people aren't sponsored by someone for our program. And even if people aren't sponsored for those extra features, there is a lot of valuable free information here on EX that can and has helped lots of people successfully quit since 2008.

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Barbscloud

@Katstravmom   Not sure what's going on.   Are you signed up to receive daily texts from the Ex?   I did that prior to my quit (it's been over 3 years so something could have changed) but at that time those weren't meant to be responded to.  I'm adding @CommunityAdmin  administrator to this post so he can address this.

If you post here you'll be able to receive responses.  Please respond to confirm that you received this.

Where were you trying to obtain patches?   Did you call 1-800-QUIT-NOW?

Don't get frustrated.  Whatever it is, it can be worked out.

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Katstravmom The text messages are automated and there is not a person on the other end. Some of the text messages we send contain trigger words that are in CAPS (example CRAVE, MOOD, SLIP, ECIG) or have numbers that correspond to certain responses. It will provide additional tailoring based on the trigger words you respond with. Give it a try. While our system is dynamic, free form responses aren't possible yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Looking at your account it doesn't appear that you're sponsored by a health plan or an employer. If you believe you should be please use our Contact Us form found at the bottom of the page. If not, we recommend you contact your insurance company to find out if they provide any nicotine replacement therapy aides. Your doctor may also have some options or even you county health department. Each of the state quit lines may offer residents of their state. They can be reached at 800-QUIT-NOW like @Barbscloud mentions. 

Even if you get quit aides it's important to use EX to learn about addition and get support here on EX from people who know what you're going through. Quitting doesn't happen solely with quit aides. Joining EX and getting involved in the community is a good first step but you'll need to make sure you stay active and make the site part of your routine. We're here for you and want you to be successful.

EX Community Admin Team
tracy0924

@Katstravmom I am just getting ready to quit, but wanted to say that I received my initial supply of NRT, patches and gum, from EX after chatting with a coach a few weeks ago. You could get your initial supply here. I know that in the past I was able to get it free medication and patches prescribed by my doctor. That was the last time I quit which only lasted a year. But now I am reading and learning more about nicotine addiction and I will be depending on this site for support as I quit. You can get the supplies you need and the support you need from this site. You can do it! And good luck!

Tracy
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tracy0924 wrote:

@Katstravmom I am just getting ready to quit, but wanted to say that I received my initial supply of NRT, patches and gum, from EX after chatting with a coach a few weeks ago. You could get your initial supply here. I know that in the past I was able to get it free medication and patches prescribed by my doctor. That was the last time I quit which only lasted a year. But now I am reading and learning more about nicotine addiction and I will be depending on this site for support as I quit. You can get the supplies you need and the support you need from this site. You can do it! And good luck!

@tracy0924 Your health plan provider sponsors you here on EX. That's how you are able to receive coaching and quit aides from us. Glad you were able to use those services provided to you. Unfortunately not everyone has sponsorship here on EX that provides them additional services.

@Katstravmom please see my response above. Hopefully your state or health care provider has some suggestions for you.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
tracy0924

My apologies @CommunityAdmin . I did not realize this. Thank you for pointing it out

Tracy
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tracy0924 wrote:

No worries 🙂 Wish we could offer it to everyone. But there are options if people aren't sponsored by someone for our program. And even if people aren't sponsored for those extra features, there is a lot of valuable free information here on EX that can and has helped lots of people successfully quit since 2008.

EX Community Admin Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Katstravmom 

I am going to suggest you think on some things . They might cause some anxiety for you but I hope not . 

1) You could try CT again now you have Ex support . 

2) I'm not sure of the cost of gum or patch anymore , but when you quit smoking remember what you spend a week for smoking . That same amount  could be applied to  your NRT , so really , you might still be saving money . 

3) I don't know your financial situation but I know quitting smoking will make a difference . You may have to put out a bit on your own for a while if you can't find free NRT but it's worth it . 

4) I would definitely speak with your dr . 

5) Chantix is a prescription NRT , as well their are other prescription aides such as Wellbutrin  so speaking with your dr might be the way to go as they know your history end may have resources for free Patch , gum etc . 

6) If Chantix , or Champix  is something that's safe for you  you could check out their website . sSometimes  discounts are offered . Just beware though , there is a recall on chantix right now ... please refer to cousin it's  ( Carl's ) recent post and to the recall site . I would definitely be cautious and check that out with your dr first . If I can find Carl's post I'll repost that or somehow figure out how to post the link or do a search top of the page .. putting in chantix recall you should find it there . ***important to know ***