cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

John-C.

Newbie Quitters

You can use this wall to introduce yourself and tell your story! Remember, this group is only for those who have stopped smoking completely (no matter for how long). We can use the advice of experienced EX's, too. I am on my 4th day (again), using this site much more and reading reading reading!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
444 Replies
tamika1013

Hello all today will be day one for me. This will be the second time I tried to stop smoking but the first time I dont think I took it that seriously. At one point of time I could smoke a pack in 2 to 3 days but I was laid off my job November 26th and its like I go through a pack a day. I know it is taking a toll on me because I find myself getting shortness of breath and upset stomach after so many. I want to stop smoking so bad I have 4 girls and I need to be there for them. My mom passed away in 2004 after being diagnosed in 1996 with COPD. That should have been a sign but no I still smoke. Its funny though when I am around non smokers or in a non smoking enviroment I dont even think about it. However when I am home because I know I can I smoke and being off work is not helping. I just need help encouragement more motivation something I have no clue where to start its like second nature to me

0 Kudos
kaydee0772

Today would have been day 7 for me but I and my quit buddies slipped up this weekend.  After all of us having a rotten stressful week, we all got together on Friday and between us (4 ppl) smoked 2 packs and drank like fishes..  DUMB move I know, I know.  We are all trying different methods, One has the patches, the other gum and me cold turkey. I hate feeling like such a failure and stopping this habit that is expensive, stinky and that is slowly killing me is something I really know I need to and want to do. So I suppose I restart the clock, again today is day one.  I have quit before and always seem to fall back to the lure of  nicotine. I want to badly to quit and never ever go back. Why oh why is this so hard. 

0 Kudos
laurhen

Today is my 2nd day using Bupropion and will start the patch on Jan 20th 2013 but need support. Does anyone know what helps with the cravings and being bored sitting on a computer? Just the first day using the medication I noticed I  was a bit snappy with my son :(. need help!!

0 Kudos
mzmaam50

Hello, i'm new to the site and i have stop smoking cold turkey, i bought my last pack of cig s on Dec 20 th and smoked my last cig on the 21th of Dec.  I'm not far from been smoke free for a month and it's been hard but getting easier as the days goes by. I really would like to have friends who needing support just as much as i do.

0 Kudos

Hello all I have decided to quit smoking and would love to friends with others who are dealing with the same issues.

0 Kudos
franscott22

hello, I am also new to this site.  Today is my 9th day without a cig.  and I am very proud of myself.  This site has been very helpful for me and I encourage everyone to use this site especially when you feel the urge to light up.  We need to continue to encourge each other to stay smoke free.

0 Kudos
kateye23

Hi Everyone!  My name is Kat and this I am on day 2!  I have tried to quit many times, which lasted aobut a day...but this time im serious!  I will do this!!!  It just might not be a fun climb...but worth it when your at the top looking dow!!!

0 Kudos
danze101

HI guys, today is day 8 for me and it's a rough one!! I am doing school work and this is when I would've normally lit up and smoked while I wrote my papers 😞 I gotta get through this!

0 Kudos
jooch

Hi, I am on my 5th day.  I sure can use the support as well.  I too, decided to wean myself from a pack a day to a pack every 2 1/2 to 3 days.  I tried switching from a major brand to a lighter generic.  Finally, I decided 2013 was the time to begin.  Last night I walked up and down my mom's stairs and was winded - its from the smokes.  I read on this site somewhere that after 10 days your breathing becomes better.  It is an encouragement for me to keep going.  Plus the cost of smokes is outrageous and that is even more of a incentive as we can reward ourselves using that money for something so much better.  Yesterday, I almost went out of mind as I was like Sybil - one minute ok, the next crabby and so unfocused.  I have had trouble sleeping through the night the past two nights.  I guess this is what all that poison in our systems does - wacks the body out.  I chewed on a cinnamon stick until it was in tatters.  Good luck eveyone.   Best wishes to you.

http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/upload/179018153907898256_6GukdjNW_b.jpg

0 Kudos
emm

Today is day 33, but I am not sure I can really claim it. On the 15th of Dec I started coughing so hard and couldn't stop, on the 20th I was ambulances to the hospital with massive dehydration, pneumonia, and completely out of control diabetes. I spent the next 10 days in ICC. (Intermediate critical care)  Thus, have not smoked since Dec 15. I have also been diagnosed with emphysema , although they still want to do tests to see exactly how bad that is. 

It seems to have been pretty easy to not smoke while in the hospital, and much more difficult since I have been home. Probably because the hospital didn't really have triggers, and here they are everywhere. 

What is working so far is telling myself that if I hold out 15 minutes, I will get past the craving. Or doing something where my hands are wet, like wash dishes lol. 

I hope to find a quit buddy and friends to help make this easier. 

Thanks for listening

Emm

0 Kudos