cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

heatherco2010

New to the site, working on seperation....

Hi everyone, so I've decided to quit smoking.... I'm really hopeful that this will be the last time that quit lol.   I'm going to start working on my seperation tomorrow and my quit date is set for the first of March.  I can do it this time.  But I'm scared.  Not sure if anyone else has experienced fear in quitting but I truly am scared. 

I'm curious to know if anyone here has been successful with making a "deal" with themselves to quit?  I've thought of one that is really driving me right now and is getting me really excited.  I've made a deal with myself that when I quit smoking FOR GOOD (a year or so of being quit) I can buy my dream car.  A 2002 or newer Subaru Impreza WRX.  I have been waiting to own this car since it hit the market in 2002 but have never been able to afford it.  Mostly because of all the money I threw away on cigarettes!  And if I am not sucessful, I DON'T get my dream car.  Has anyone else done something similar to this and been sucessful?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gracie6

Hi Heather,

I wish you the very best. I just joined 'become an ex' about 5 minutes ago because I want to quit smoking, too! And I can relate to your remark about being scared. I am too. As strange as this may sound, cigarettes have been my friend for many years... always there when I needed one... when life gets difficult, I light up... when I'm stressed, I light up... I'm sure you can relate.

My husband left me (guess he had a mid life crisis - sheesh, but he's gone) and I am smoking more now than ever. I also can no longer afford to purchase cigarettes. I don't know where you live, but in California, where I live, the least expensive pack of cigs is $5.00. And then there is the health issue... these things are going to kill us eventually and have heard this is not a good way to go.

It's time for us to do this! And what a great place this seems to be to receive and give support to others on the same path! I saw 'Become An Ex' in an add in my Yahoo mail page and thought, what the heck, so clicked on it... and here I am.

March 1st is your quit date, huh? How did you come up with a quit date? I have not yet set a quit date. I'd be interested to hear how you chose yours.

I will keep you in my thoughts, wish you the VERY best on this journey and be sending good vibes your way!

Take good care, Gracie

0 Kudos
heatherco2010

Thank  you for your comment Gracie, sorry that I'm slow at responding.  I really don't get online much lately.  As it turns out, sitting at the computer is one of my triggers.  I came up with my quit date frome this website actually.  It asked me when my quit date was and my boyfriend and I had said Feb. 1st so that's what I entered but the website said that date might be too soon and recomended March 1st instead so that we could seperate and prepare ourselves a little more.  This hasn't worked well for my boyfriend at all, so he's not doing well.  He keeps buying cigarettes and just smokes and smokes.  I've been working hard at the seperation.  And my main problem area is in the morning, all morning in fact until I leave for work...it's really bad on days that I don't have to work!  🙂

But I'm working on that.  I just keep telling myself that there are far more productive things that I can do.  It works for the most part but it's still difficult.

I wish you the best as well and I encourage you to watch the silly videos on this site and read the content.  It's very informative and helpful.  I've been keeping a journal of my thoughts to fill the time that cigarettes used to fill and that seems to be helping A LOT!  I just write down whatever I'm feeling, no matter what it is.  I went to the craft store and they had little journals on sale for $1.00 so I got 2 and a fun, silly looking pen that I can play with in my hand when I want a smoke.  I love it.  Please forgive me if I don't respond right away...  really trying to stay away from the internet until I get a handle on this.  But I will respond... can't stay away forever :).

Take care!

Heather

0 Kudos