cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

joy14

New, Need Help Please :)

Help me start? I am so overwhelmed and confused. 

I have made a decision to stop smoking again. I stopped before, for about 3 yrs, but took it up again unfortuneatly due to

too many stressors in my life at that time. Now, at this point, I have been smoking again for 6 yrs. I am 62 years old and

started smoking when I was about 18-19 yrs old.

I have been reading through this site since early this morning and it seems like a wonderful place. So much information, I think I got overly excited and read so much that I am just so confused now where/when to start.

Any advice would be welcome a so appreciated. I really want to do this. 

Do I quit now. Wait 2 weeks until I read everything recommended? Or .....?

Help!!??

Joy

23 Replies
Giulia

Welcome Joy!  My suggestion would be to spend a couple of weeks just reading on here and setting up your quit plan.  (Click on "My Quit Plan" upper right side.)  Quitting takes preparation for most people.  We don't just jump into the water without learning how to swim first.  The stronger your preparation, the more likely your success, for the more you know the less likely you are to make common mistakes.  The Best of EX  is a great place to begin your education.  So I would set a quit date for a couple of weeks or a month ahead.  Give yourself a firm basis from which to begin. I took a month, myself, to get my head in gear and gain the education necessary.  You do what you think will work best for you.  After all, you know yourself best of all.

Glad you've joined us!

joy14

Thank you so much Giulia. I appreciate the great advice and thanks for answering my question! 

0 Kudos
shashort

Hi Joy welcome to EX! This is a great group for support and education. Education and knowledge about this addiction is a must in my opinion. My suggestion would be wait read all you can about this addiction, because that is what it is.  There are exercises on this site to help you figure out where to start and learning to track your cigarettes so you get a true idea of your triggers and then what will you do to conquer that trigger. If you click right upper corner click "my quit plan and click icons to get you started.  There is a lot of good information on "whyquit.com. Lots of good article such as addiction 101. Read lots of information here.  There are Elders which have been smokefree 1 year or more tht can help lead you on your way to quitting. give you more reading and encouragement. This is a great place I have been smoke free for little over 2 years, and will say its the best thing I have ever done for myself.  It is not easy by no means but it is DOABLE when you have knowledge and support.  Feel free to ask questions, write your own blogs to let us know how you doing. You CAN do it just believe in yourself , be patient and it will happen. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Sharon

joy14

Thank you Shashort!  I like the advice and do feel less pressure (from myself!) now.  I will start reading and preparing. So very much appreciate your response!

joy14

One more question.  Is there a mobile app for iphone/adroid for this site?

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex---as you suspect----you really are in the right place for quit support. When reading overwhelms you, stop, break ---digest. Take what you need and leave the rest is said often around here, and this saying is absolutely true. A quit usually starts with a plan (one that you make your own when why how list), and a quit usually starts and continues with education. 

You said it...stresses got to you. Here in the community you can quit with support and continue to face the task of living all of lifes challenges without smoking. Nice and easy, one day at a time. That's how the work of smobriety gets done. 

Keep coming back, hang out, blog as you wish.

0 Kudos
joy14

Thank You Mary!!

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Kudos
Giulia

There isn't a mobile app for EX but look at this blog:  Mobile app   Several people have recommended an app called Smoke Free.  I think it's free but to unlock all the feature it's $4.99 (less than the cost of a pack of cigs.)

"There is not, however the site is mobile responsive. Which means, it auto-adjusts to every screen size.  Typically a mobile app for communities is a very watered down experience of the full site.  A mobile responsive version is more feature rich.

Additionally you can reply by email for many of the notifications so you can still participate without even entering your mobile browser.

Most of the functionality of the website is available via your mobile phone.  Some additional functionality is available while you are in landscape mode that may not be available in portrait mode. Check it out!

Mark
EX Community Manager"

joy14

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos