cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

New Members - Welcome !!!!

The first 2 weeks are rough as is the first 30 days, then it gets easier and easier as each month passes.  Just keep telling yourself I'm not smoking today, I don't do that anymore, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.  if you have to take a drive down the road and scream your full head off, then so be it.  Keep yourself occupied.  You find yourself crawling the walls, remove yourself and find something else to do, distract yourself.  Go for a walk, rip off some wallpaper or shelf paper.  Find something that requires some concentration but is physical.  For the next few months your concentration will be a little foggy but it will pass.  At around 6 months, the clouds will clear and you'll find yourself making more and more memories without smoking.  Hang in there.... this can be done.  My name is Lori.  I was a heavy smoker for 43 years at 2 packs a day.  I've been quit now for a year.  this can be done !!!!

You have an abundance of support here.  We were all smokers at one point or another and know exactly what you are going through and will be going through.  Just remember that no question is a dumb question.  No feeling is a silly feeling.  

Here's a short video to watch to get you started on discovering why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyIJo7VCdPE

Be sure to blog your cravings or your blues away. You'd be amazed how similar we all are here.  You'll be reviewing those from time to time through this process.  So it's important.  If you're not comfortable blogging on a public forum, then buy yourself a notebook and blog in there daily.  We're still here if you need a question answered or just want to share a moment with us.  No one judges here. Below are some links to some of my blogs that I feel are informative and may hit home for some of you.

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/09/03/welcome-to-the-site-now-lets-get-to-work?sr=search&searchId=3e... 

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/05/10/just-for-you-newbies-and-those-in-nml-no-mans-land?sr=search&s... 

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/07/09/hey-someone-forgot-to-recharge-this?sr=search&searchId=a214563... 

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2017/03/10/just-something-i-used-to-do 

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/09/21/i-also-could-go-back-very-easily?sr=search&searchId=60b629da-4... 

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/07/21/the-more-you-know?sr=search&searchId=ed53882e-f507-424e-b72d-8... 

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/07/11/you-bring-a-smile-to-my-face?sr=search&searchId=5d8a5356-8ba2-... 

/blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/08/09/strange-to-look-back-at-it-all-now?sr=search&searchId=94f9fa62... 

/blogs/c2q-blog/2011/07/31/at-3-months-whats-working-for-me 

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke 

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-of-100-things-to-do-instead-of-smok... 

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Giulia

PRAIRIEROSELADY  First you must be on the actual document (not viewing it from your inbox.)  So click on the title and make sure you're on the actual document/blog.    Then click on Actions (upper right).  Then on Bookmark. 

pastedImage_1.png

You know,  you can gather a lot of  information by going to the community help section (Click on link upper right),

pastedImage_2.png

Then click on Content:  pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
indingrl

Thank you so much for utube video drawing! Most excellent video and I love the marker hand drawing so cool thanks Lori thats was NEAT!!! keep on keeping on 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Newbie!  My quit date today.   Tried something different this time.  Instead of cold turkey, I decreased the number of cigarettes each day.   I am using Nicotrol Inhalers and starting a smoking cessation class last week.  I go there again today, so it seemed like a logical day for my quit date.   

I am happy to have found this site.  This is my first blog, but have been reading the information and other's blogs.  The text messages leading up to my quit day have been helpful.  Very intuitive about where your head is each day.

Text yesterday was inspiring: "Quitting should be a joy, not an event to be feared".

Look forward to your help.  I know I'll need it.

WELCOME.....BARBCLOUD   I  am also a pretty new Quitter with a different approach this time. Everyone around here is so supportive and has your back. Just post and say what you need...   Ask the ELDERS as they know their stuff! READ all you can,it really Helps.

Sorry to make this short but have a big day at the Dentist and restocking for our place. We have to travel 50 m one-way for bigger things.  Leaving soon.........Prairie 36 DOF

0 Kudos
Giulia

Here are some more positive phrases you might want to check out:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/30685-quick-quips?sr=search&searchId=147b8a6b-a837-4496-9...‌  Rah Rah on your first day!  Have heart!  Barbscloud

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, we all want to help you on this journey.  Please remember that it IS a journey, not an event.  I used the "My Quit Plan" at the top of the page when you sign in...I adjusted it as necessary but between the education about nicotine addiction, my commitment to quitting, and the amazing support I got here, I have been able to stay quit for over four years...longest I have ever been quit since I started at age 17.  It is worth every bit of angst...and it DOES get easier.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I am lost trying to navigate the  posts, but thanks for the welcome and support.  Making it so far through my first day.

0 Kudos
elvan

I still get lost trying to navigate everything but once you get used to it, it really is worth the effort.  You can go to your home page and read recent blogs, what's new, you can take the daily pledge (I strongly recommend that), and you can blog...you just go to the button that says, "Post to my Blog" and you can entitle it any way that you want and write to introduce yourself to the entire community.  I read blogs constantly when I first came here, I still do read as many as I can.  The best thing you can do is to stay close to the site and read and read and read.

Ellen

0 Kudos