cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Weekly Check In – 12/20/2017

Imagine, as realistically as possible, the place where you want to be in the near future, the state you wish to reach and the Universe will help you and guide you - Anonymous

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Questions:

1. If you could have any celebrity be your best friend, which celebrity would you pick?

2. If you created your own country, what would it be called?

3. If all your clothes had to be one color forever, what color would you pick?

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  What To Expect In The First Four Months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

Tags (2)
15 Replies
Roller831

While everyone's quit is different, we can certainly benefit from sharing our experiences, strengths, and hopes.  Take what you want and leave the rest. 

Deb-EX

I completely agree!!   

gottastop2

Thank YOU rollercoaster! BTW, I love your name.  It is very appropriate for this journey!

Deb-EX

LOL.. Yes ROLLERCOASTER for real!!!

fitzteacher

Hi.  My name is Frank.  I am new here.  I quit three days ago.  Pretty confident so far as I am using Wellbutrin and the patch.  I know if I smoke on this medication that it will taste terrible.  

Roller831

Welcome fitzteacher‌ Frank!  I found this site on the first day of my quit!  You have, what we call, 3 DOF (days of freedom)!  That certainly is something to celebrate!

I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016 

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

Dale’s Welcome to New Members My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

YoungAtHeart Nancy’s Blog /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke 

JonesCarpeDiem  Dale’s Blog /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Visit Best of EX

And read what has been posted there.

JACKIE1-25-15 told me about Alan Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  I actually didn’t read the book, but purchased a book on CD from Amazon and listened to it in my car over and over again for the first two weeks of my quit. 

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!