cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Showiestodin

NML Wednesday Check In - 8/23/2017

NML Wednesday Check In - 8/23/2017

Don’t think of it as QUITTING.  Think of it as GAINING!!!

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Questions:

List five things that always, and immediately, bring a smile to your face.

What are three thoughts that made you smile today? 

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate)  

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  What To Expect In The First Four Months  

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

Note:  Much of this content was previously found in an old blog post by SarahP when I searched for NML.  I want to make sure credit is given since much of the content above is taken from that blog post.  I also understand SarahP was willing to pass the torch to someone else on the weekly NML Check In.  Instead of doing a blog, I am making this a weekly discussion.

28 Replies
TurboRose

1 - Looking at my dog's sweet face.

2 - Thinking about funny life experiences.

3 - Remembering the day I watched my dog try to walk through a screen door.

4 - Remembering the day I ordered something in the drive-thru and said it's to go.

5 - The movie "Saving Grace."

1 - Thinking about my dog trying to walk through a screen door not once but twice. He saw me on the other side and figured he could just walk to me.

2 - I cleared up a miscommunication with a relative I have an adversarial relationship with. I felt proud of myself for acting responsibly. 

3 - Thinking about going for a walk this evening.  The weather has been beautiful.

Celebrating 53 DOF

Showiestodin

Dog's are great. i especially love the screen door thing that's so precious. Congratulations with 53 DOF!!!!

Brianairb2

Hello fellow NML travelers!  I'm still traipsing along, quit & happy...and I hope that you are too.

1.  My nieces & nephew, and even more so that I can be an even better example for them as a non-smoker.

2. DOGS!!

3. Sunshine...and yea, I know it sounds kinda corny, but I get a lot of overcast days where I live, so my brain chemistry is glowing when there's a consistently sunny day

4.  When I find a new favorite song.

5.  Writing out of pure inspiration...when it comes through rather than having to work at it. 

1.  I tried eating an ice cream cone after visiting the dentist today, with half my face numbed.  That was pretty funny.

2.  I slept ten hours last night.  That made me smile even though I had to skip my morning coffee because I had to get ready immediately for the dentist.

3.  I smiled that I didn't smoke, and knowing that I didn't have to hide it from the dentist.

Showiestodin

Yeppers dogs are great!!! I'll bet the ice cream cone and numb face was a big hit huh.?...Thank you for taking timeout to let us know a little more about you along this journey through NML.

TW517

Just saw you are at 60 DOF today!  Congrats!!!!  

tlajbenn

Good evening, I'm getting a late start after a long day. First time checking in. Thank you Showiestodin‌ for letting me know about this. I am currently on day 37 being smoke free. What a great topic to start on! 

Things that make me smile:

1. My son (everyday)

2. My dog, when I come in she gets her whole back end wiggling.

3. Singing in the car. (No one to hear how tone deaf I truly am! )

4. Finishing the Sunday crossword puzzle

5. Finding a rally good sale (I just bought a great pair of shoes and got them for half off, plus I had a $10 birthday coupon.) 

Thoughts that made me smile today:

1. Coming home and seeing my son

2. Coming home and seeing my dog

3. I have not smoked in over a month!!!

Showiestodin

Great to see you! Happy you could make it. Fabulous responses. I liked reading the all of them. Oh yeah WELCOME to NML, Congratulations!!! You made it this far, keep up the great work.

0 Kudos
Showiestodin

I have enjoyed reading every word, of all of your answers today. You all have put a continuous smile on my face all day and night long.

Thank you again to all of you who talked to us today. It takes courage to put yourself out there. And it is so much appreciated for the time and effort you all took. Thanks again. Next week you will be lead by Rollercoaster831 the moderator of NML Check In. I was just filling in so she can have a wonderful vaca. And I truly hope she had fun and relaxation. Give her a warm welcome back next Wednesday, August 30th. Thanks to all of you for putting up with silly little me, I had a great time. I'll miss this.

Sincerely,

Cathy

josnyder72

Thank you for this page Showiestodin... It's fantastic to have a chance to get to know members who are close to my quit date and those who have forged the way before us....I also have enjoyed reading everyone's responses and already look forward to checking in again next week....

Jo

Showiestodin

Awesome!!!! I am happy you are happy, sincerely.

0 Kudos