cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML & Inbetweener Weekly Check In - 6/18/2018 - Keeping your quit precious

We do this blog every Monday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in No Man’s Land -- months 2-3-4 of a quit and for those who have not yet reached the 6% club. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

This week’s topic: Keeping your quit precious

From Giulia  who wrote /blogs/Giulia-blog/2013/09/10/how-precious-is-your-quit 

From OldBones-Larry /blogs/oldbones-larry/2018/06/13/sand-trap 

And me:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/rollercoaster831/blog/2017/10/10/not-getting-caught-in-nml... 

What exactly is the value of your quit?  And what will you do, what ARE you doing to protect yourself  from relapse? How much is it worth to you?

Are you avoiding the sand traps or sinking slowly into them?

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go.
 The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can really catch you off guard. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be overwhelming at times.

But here’s the good news
. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening! 

If you're in NML right now, give a shout!  Reach out and find each other! 

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML or Inbetweenerville who is ready, willing, and able.

25 Replies
Roller831

I am glad you stopped by to remind us all how precious life and our quits are!

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

"What is the value of my quit" ?

I've read that "suicide" is a sin...........

0 Kudos
Roller831

Powerful GyorgyiM

0 Kudos
SheriU

Well I'm hanging in there .  Starting to notice the weight gain and will begin to focus on that instead of wanting the cigarette.  I'm going to succeed and get through NML.  Have a great Monday everybody!!!

jtheo

Throwing in my two cents. I haven't been doing well last week or so. Nic is whispering and romancing me. I try to distract, drink my water, etc but I just want to feel "normal" again. I'm depressed and withdrawing from friends and not doing things I used to enjoy. Living a smoke free life is top priority!! Can someone give me tips or tricks to balance life and my "obsession" of not taking another puff?

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

You are giving nicotine TO MUCH POWER!!

YOU make the choice and constantly remind yourself I DO NOT SMOKE....

You need to wrap your mindset around that so that you can make mental and physical adjustments to start incorporating health and HAPPINESS into your life. You will need to make the EFFORT to reconstruct your ways of thinking and DOING!! 

YOU don't need to be depressed.....choose.

You  don't need to feel UN normal.....choose.

Read lots of blogs here, there is so much information on how to handle certain issues you may come across or experience. 

HELP US, HELP YOU!!

Miles of Smiles............

Roller831

jtheo‌  The nicdemon will whisper and romance you from time to time.  You will have to constantly make a choice not to smoke.  NOPE.  SINAO.  I don't do that anymore.  

Try the other option if distracting and avoiding aren't working for you.  Try doing the things you enjoy and CELEBRATE the fact you don't smoke!  Try to change your thinking.....you are able to do [insert something here] and enjoy it more because you don't smoke!  You don't need to get away to have a smoke and you get to enjoy [insert something here] more than ever!

Think of all of the amazing things you get to do now that you don't smoke!  Make new memories without sickarettes!

Celebrate the fact you came her to express the tougher time you are having and didn't smoke instead!

oldbones-larry ‌spoke of Desolation Point and how it could lead to Relapse Rocks.  Read some of his blogs about NML.  Maybe something there will tough a nerve and help you out as well.  One step and then another will get to where you want to be.  For every moment you stay smoke free, you are that much closer to not thinking and obsessing over it all the time.

No matter what though, don't make a choice to smoke. 

Roller

DLHaffner

Good morning all,  So I just wanted to report....with the hopes it will go away forever...I had a smoking nightmare right before I woke up this morning.  I was driving and I lit a cigarette and smoked it...it was extremely vivid.  I felt horrible after and regretted it in my nightmare!  I remember thinking Oh NO!!!!!  Now I'm going to be a smoker again...there's no way I'll be able to stop now.  I blew it!  It was not enjoyable and then I woke up....and felt panicked and weird.  Last night I was having a racing heart and feeling anxious and not particularly thinking about smoking but just feeling overall uncomfortable.   I take at least three big deep breaths and refocus on anything when that happens....clean, call someone, play a game on my phone, walk, take the dogs out, watch a tv show.  UGH this is so weird because I'm at Day 106 and I didn't really even start having these panicky feelings until a few weeks ago.  Do you think it's because the addiction know's I'm almost out of NML?!?

0 Kudos
Roller831

The truth?  Do you think it's because the addiction know's I'm almost out of NML?!?  No.  I think it is because smoking is an addiction.  Period.  YoungAtHeart‌ posted not too long ago that she had a  /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2018/06/11/smokemare earlier this month!  Here's the thing...you didn't smoke and now you know this can happen at any time so it is important to be vigilant and protect our quits!  So glad it was a nightmare and not the real thing.  I am also glad that even in the dream it was not enjoyable which means you are still strong in your quit!  I am so sorry this happened, but glad you didn't smoke over it!

Roller

AnnetteMM

It's like dreaming about an ex-boyfriend.