cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML & In-betweener Weekly Check in - 3/5/2018

We do this blog every Monday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in No Man’s Land -- months 2-3-4 of a quit and for those between NML and the 6% club (1 year of a quit). Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

This week’s topic: Are you in No Man’s Land?

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start at the end of your first month.

The first month of a quit is emotional and exhausting; you’re living in the moment and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go.
 The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can really catch you off guard. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be overwhelming at times.

But here’s the good news
. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening! 

If you're in NML or an In-betweener right now, give a shout!  Reach out and find each other! 

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...   

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months?sr=search...

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
desiree465

How you feeling today? Any better?

Hi Desiree! Thanks for asking  I’m doing a little better today. No cookies eaten (yet). Taking time to find a good doctor. Hope you’re doing well!! 

Roller831

Cookies are still better than smoking!  Keep up the great work!

minihorses

Hello fellow NMLers and Tweeners.  Last week was awful at home. Angry, frustrated, ready to move out but really can't. Didn't smoke although I really wanted to.  So another week down and a little over 4 months quit. 

0 Kudos
Roller831

Glad you didn't smoke!  Sorry you feel you have to move out but can't.  It sucks feeling "trapped" like that.  Sending virtual hugs your way and hopes you can figure things out.

Sandi4

Helllo All -

Happy Friday eve. I’ve been locked in conference rooms for the last 3 days so it’s nice to free again. Speaking of free...I’m checking in with 75 nicotine/smoke free days.

I’ve had some smoking memories (I choose not to call them craves any longer) since our last check in but nothing major.  This site has taught me to acknowledge what they are and move through them.

I had a bout of sadness a week or so ago. I think I was still mourning the loss of some family members who all passed within a couple of weeks of each other, right after the holidays.   Rather than pushing through as I normally do, I allowed myself to feel  and mourn. I’m on the other side now. Exercise and putting the cookies down helped!

All in all, I have to say my quit is going well. Although I know I will always be an addict, I AM AN EX SMOKER!

i don’t do that anymore and I am stronger than any memory.

For those who quit after me, it does get better. Stay positive, focus on what you’ve gained rather than what you lost (which was killing you) and take it one day at a time.

Heading to the gym so I’ll end here. Wishing you all the best!

Sandi

Roller831

Congrats on your 75 DOF and EXcellent quititude!

0 Kudos
minihorses

Great job and great attitude Sandi!  You really DO have a good grasp on this process.  Less than a month till you join the TRIPLE DIGIT CLUB!

smoke free.jpg

Julie

0 Kudos