cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Deb-EX

NEW QUITTER USING PATCH

Hello!

I'm NEW to the group, today I am 7 days smoke free using the Nicoderm patch. I have smoked about a pack (Plus) a day for probably 35 years and this is my 1st attempt EVER in quitting. This was not planned at all, I happened to get sick with a bad chest cold that wouldn't go away and something about the cough I got- scared me so bad, that I just went to our local CVS store, bought the patches, and QUIT then and there! I honestly didn't think I would last 2 days, so completing a week is way past my expectations & my 13 year old son is THRILLED. I don't see myself going back - I HATE IT!  Even with the patch, day 2 on are VERY hard. I feel out of sorts, my brain just isn't functioning, there are moments I can't even think... it's so odd. It's not even like I want to go out and smoke, I just don't think my brain knows how to handle the fact that I'm not smoking. The patch definitely works, but in all fairness - it only takes the edge off - you still have to put in the work to not light up again.  I like the fact that I can work on the mental part of the addiction FIRST which for me is more of WHY I was still smoking than anything - it's was my source of EVERYTHING!!! I will focus on the physical part later down the road when I have established a new cigarette free lifestyle - I'm a "one thing- at a time" kind of girl ! 

Anyway, I have been reading through so many great blogs- the support seems amazing and the advice is fantastic and uplifting. It's comforting to see I am not alone in my plight to quit this horrible habit. Day 8 here I come!! 🙂 

Tags (1)
60 Replies
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Good to meet you.

Congratulations on 7 days! A health scare is as good a reason as any to quit. You are right about Ex being a good place for support--so glad you found this site. 

The fuzzy thinking problem is absolutely common in to quitting and passes. But it is annoying. Hang in there and keep working your quit.

Deb-EX

Thank YOU so much for your welcome! I appreciate you saying the fuzzy thinking is common, because sometimes you can feel very isolated in what you might be feeling at the time. There are so many changes going on in my body at once, but I am working through them minute by minute, drinking tons of water and I have about 10 bags of leaves raked up over this week to keep my mind busy, my husband is thrilled about that LOL. Well at least today I'm smiling and at least today I know I will not SMOKE!

How long have you been cig free Mary? Did you go CT or use an NRT??  Again, thanks for thanks for your welcome 🙂

maryfreecig

Cig free for a little over four years. Cold turkey with some vital info support online, but came to Ex 2 years and 8 mo into my quit. If I stand on any kind of soap box, banging the tambourine, it is to promote support via a group, sharing and participating is good medicine for most of us. 

Yep, I hear you on the yard work. I mowed looked to the sky (it was Oct.) and asked the meaning of life, a small still voice that I could barely hear said, 'just don't smoke.'  Yes you can, one day at a time.

Deb-EX

Fantastic, congratulations to you and thank you for staying apart of this support group, giving warm welcomes and great advice! I can totally relate to your looking into the sky moment, because I just had the same type of moment this week! Than I breathed in as deep as I could and just let the air slowly out of my lungs and SMILED!!! "One day at a time"... it's so true!!! I look forward to sharing with you in the future! 🙂

I used the patch.  check out Nicotine Patch Users‌ group on here and read through some of those blogs on there.  You will go through the fogginess.  I found this article helpful, Side Effects of Quitting Smoking - What Happens to Your Body? | HealDove .  I'm sure you've read many intro blogs by JonesCarpeDiem‌,  and maybe even myself. Also go to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters?sr=search&searchId=62ebf768-b1a2-4468-b4dc...‌ if you haven't already.  Read a few in there.  Just surf around the site for a few days and look into some of the groups they have on here and read the blogs under them.  They may be from quite a few years ago, but they sure do have a lot of wisdom packed inside of them.  I've smoked for 43 years and are now close to being quit for 2 years.  We're all here to help you along as ex-smokers helping smokers who are starting quit or maintaining their quit.  Be sure to ask questions.  Use the search feature (the magnifying glass) and search for things you are wondering about, concentration, fogginess, whatever you are experiencing or are curious about.  You'll have a boatload of blogs listed.  There's years and years of knowledge stored in here.  It's all there just for your taking.  Welcome aboard !!!! 

Deb-EX

Hi Lori! 

Thank YOU for the warm welcome, advice and suggested reading material. I love being pointed in the right direction! I will read all the documents you so nicely put here, thank YOU. Congratulations to YOU on 2 years smoke free, FANTASTIC!! I would LOVE to think that I too will one day be able to say the same about me. I have read some of your blogs and they are excellent... As each day goes by, I feel new things changing in both my body AND my MIND,  so I am especially grateful for providing tonights bedtime reading material! I look forward to sharing this time with all of you and of course I will be here for anyone that needs help as well! Choo-Chooo 🙂

0 Kudos
Deb-EX

Hi Lori,  Thank you so much for providing the great reading material. I wonder though "In what to expect when quitting" does this also apply to someone like me using a nicotine patch? I would say YES as  I have a" lot of those symptoms, but why do I feel like I am cheating??!! Then there is the "What to expect in the first 4 months article" I LOVED IT!, such a great way to look at this journey! I saved that to my desk top and will read often! Have a great day! 

0 Kudos

I quit also with the patch.  I used it as an aid because I had a lot of emotional attachment to smoking that I needed to deal with before I dealt with the physical

Deb-EX

I feel the same exact way! The emotional attachment to smoking for me is definitely stronger than the physical, and dealing with both at the same time - well let's just say, since I don't have the time to spend in a rubber room for a week or so, I chose the patch and I thank god I did! Hope your having a great day Lori!!!

0 Kudos