cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CollinsK92

My quit date

My quit date is on the 19th of August and I am also starting school on that day. I’m nervous because I was able to quit once before for a month and I tried again recently, without success, before finding this place. Is there any advice anyone could offer me to put me in the right direction? I used to think I could just quit and be fine, but that has not turned out to be the case at all. 

Tags (1)
21 Replies
CollinsK92

I bought some nicotine gum today to get ready for my quit date. I have the book that was recommended and I’m going to start reading it soon. I’m just ready to be who I was before smoking. I hate the feeling it gives me. So, I’m doing what I can by tracking what I smoke now and then try to figure out what I can do instead. I started exercising, meditation, and some other things to keep my mind busy. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

If used properly,  gum is fine, but it needs to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to it if they substitute it for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time as you become accustomed to living your life without the emotional/situational crutch.    You can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  As long as you understand that its not the final solution, you will be fine!

0 Kudos
CollinsK92

I was just going to follow the directions it comes with if that works? It reduces the amount you chew and increases the time between chewing them over a few weeks. 

YoungAtHeart

Just be VERY sure you try all other things to put off the crave before giving in to its use. It should be your tool of last resort.   Remember the directions are created by the folks who are selling you the product - and the more you use, the wealthier they become!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Having a support system such as the EX community can make the difference if you are willing to do whatever is necessary to not ever take another puff no matter what. NOPE  Read the suggested material it will help you .  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Going to school is a new beginning so is quitting smoking. Come here often, read study blog question never give up.

0 Kudos
avian3

Once you quit, always be vigilant and remember you are and always will be a nicotine addict. You can never ever ever have even one puff again.

0 Kudos
CollinsK92

I appreciate all of you and your input. It’s been really nice. I do have a question though. I know my quit date is on the 19th but I did go buy nicotine gum. Would it be stupid to move my date to tomorrow and just work with the gum?

0 Kudos
marciem

CollinsK92  I was going to suggest just going for it.  You've planned it, the longer you put it off the more excuses your addicted brain will come up with to put it off further.   Also, the first day of school may not be the best day to quit smoking.  Have a few days smoke-free under your belt, so you don't become overwhelmed with the stress of quitting and the stresses associated with a new term at school.

Whether you use a quit aid such as gum, (which is fine)  keep in mind that as said earlier, this is an AID, but you still have to do the heavy lifting, it won't take away some of your symptoms but only ease them a bit.

This is an addiction.  There is no "just fine" at first, with not doing it anymore.  It is a process, and takes some effort and awareness of what you are dealing with.  Keep educating yourself about it, and you'll do fine.  You are smart and determined, and that will carry you far.

Best wishes on your quit, and on your new school year!

Mandolinrain

Jumping in rather late to wish you a beautiful school year and welcome you to Ex!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Of course you can quit sooner and change you quit date on the site!   Don't feel bad about using an aid.  Many quitters here have used them without becoming addicted to them.  Sounds like you have an excellent plan on how to use the gum.

Barb