cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Helpamanda

My partner smokes

I've tried and tried again, we both have. One caves and the other always follows. This time I've made a commitment to stop regardless if he is done or not. He's away for work,  I've made it two days so far without too many issues. He will be home in 3 more days. Hopefully with a good 5-6 days under my belt i will be able to stay smoke free. Has anyone else had this problem? I almost want to ask him not to smoke on the premises at all (usually the garage). Is that fair I just don't want it around period. Thoughts 

11 Replies
Giulia

A blog by Dr. Hays which may help:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2017/06/21/quitting-when-you-live-wi...   And another from someone's personal experience:  /blogs/Michwoman-blog/2013/05/29/quitting-when-you-live-with-a-smoker   There are lots more blogs on this subject.  Just put different queries into the community search box and see what comes up.  

My opinion - if you've both tried to quit numerous times and when one gives in, it kind of gives permission and makes it a whole lot easier for the other person to give in too... and you both recognize that - then he will totally understand that he can't smoke in your presence.  But, come on - let him smoke in the garage.  Denying him his private place to smoke will not exactly produce a happy co-existence, shall I say.  He IS an addict, after all.  Just like you.  You just happen to have been two days free of it.  It's understandable to ask someone to keep their cigarettes, ashtrays, etc. out of your line of vision.  But you also have to realize that in life you're going to see smokers everywhere you go.  You can't hide from it.  

Bottom line is - if you've made the commitment to stop, whether he has or not - whatever HE does won't change that commitment. It may make it a bit harder, but if it's a "no matter what" commitment - nothing will alter it's successful outcome.  

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I live with my friend who is a smoker .in the past I had quits that failed and I blamed the smoker for the failures. I believed if I had lived in a smoke free environment I would have succeeded.

This time I decided it was my quit and my responsibility to myself to make a commitment to not smoke no matter what !

My friend still smokes in the house she will not change but I found that once I made the commitment it was much easier then I ever thought possible ! My craves belong to me and were no worse when seeing her smoking then when I was alone ! I think it even made my quit stronger .....when I went to visit my sister who smokes and other relatives ...no problem! Of coarse being a part of my ex family for support has been a God send ! Thank you Lord and thank you fellow Ex'ers ! 

Make the commitment ...NOPE =not one puff ever ! I am now just past 1000 days of freedom and you can do it too