cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Momofkali

My name is Tammy and im 32 and been smoking for 10 years. Ive tried to quite but went back after a week... Any advise or help

Help

20 Replies
icandothis207

I am 10 days into my quit and I am using Chantix.  It has been a HUGE help for me.  I actually went to an Allen Carr seminar in February. At the time I think I assumed it would be my “magic wand” and, Poof, I would be instantly cured of any desire to ever smoke again. That isn’t exactly how it went for me...  But now, with the help of Chantix helping to curb my physical withdrawals, I am beginning to take what I learned at the seminar and start implementing it for now and further down the road when I am done taking the meds. I surely don’t have the number of days under my belt that others here do - just wanted to share what has been helping me do something I truly wondered if I could do again: go ten days without smoking. And not even once curling into the fetal position and crying like a baby during these 10 days  Best wishes to you!

DonnaMarie

How wonderful! 10 days is where I knew I had quit for good. Something about that milestone

Donna

Day 158

DonnaMarie

Hi tscat‌/Tammy,

You've come to the right place. We're all quitters too, some newer than others, but every one of us has had at least one day one and I would bet that every one of us relapsed due to that one puff.

I'm going to offer what I have and others may offer the same, but this is what worked for me:

• Allen Carr's Easy Way book. You can get it free at the library or purchase a copy for yourself. I keep a copy on my iPhone at all times.
  • Cinnamon sticks. I chose these over other items to keep my hands and mouth busy because of their shape and the wee little bit of heat that the cinnamon gives you on your lip. You can draw through them, flick them, do everything with them except smoke. Since the behavior was the biggie for me, this helped a lot. I have a jar of cinnamon sticks in my car just in case.
  • This community. The people here are amazing and are a source of support and answers like you've never known before. Even if you don't post (which I recommend you do), you can learn by reading and experiencing what other quitters are going through.
  • I keep a couple phrases ready too - Not One Puff Ever (N.O.P.E.), smoking is not an option, I don't do that anymore, and more.
  • Learn all you can about smoking and quitting. I obsessed over it for a while.
  • Water.
  • Walking.
  • Some kind of hard candy/cough drop/lozenge.
  • Sleep.

I hope to get to know you better. Welcome and please post often. Scream and holler, praise yourself, give yourself some much needed credit, and know we all dare.

Donna

Day 158

I think the key point here is findout what makes u to smoke after you quit, my case was one of my friend leaving country and we were throwing a party..he is a smoker so I execused myself to take a sign with him, but immediately after a couple of puffs I realized it's not what I want.

So if u think that you cant avoid such situations u slipped thats ok since then my will power doubled it's been 7 days it over for me I didnt get any arge 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

I hope you will do some of the reading I recommend - and hang around with us and pay attention to the hints and advice from those who have been successful.  There is lots to learn here - and the more you understand about this addiction, the better your chances of beating it.

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

elvan

Welcome and remember the mantra, NOPE, Not One Puff Ever, it really helps.  

Ellen

notch9

Smoking doesn't fix anything. It just makes everything worse. All of us ended up getting brainwashed by the addiction. You need to figure out why you relapsed and what you will do differently next time. 

Mandolinrain

Welcome Tammy, stay near this site and get active on it. Thats the first best advice I have. Second would be to to read Alan Carrs book. Its a fast read and it was my turning point.  

0 Kudos
MrsCannon

Hi , Tammy I’ve been smoking a long time as well stopped and started back, but this time I’m hopeful that I won’t pick up again I’m using chantix along with nicotine gum and I really think it’s helping with my cravings and putting me closer to becoming an ex. Advice I would say I’d look at your triggers and try to distance yourself from them along with using some of the nicotine tools.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Good morning @MrsCannon  Just wanted you to know this is an old post. There's still a lot to learn from posts by previous quitters, so by all means continue read them .  Just didn't want you to be disappointed if you didn't receive a response from Tammy.   Continued success.

Barb

0 Kudos