cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

stephen3

My first day

Hey everybody I just joined today. I have high hopes for this to work. I don't know what else to do. I tried Chantix - didn't work... It's not so much about the nicotine as it is that I feel like I'm about to loose my best friend. It's crazy.... I love to smoke but I hate it. So any advice for the first timer would help.
Thanks,
Stephen
0 Kudos
7 Replies
donna22

Hi Stephen and welcome, you have to the right place...I really think Jackie said it all so I just want to add that I smoked for 35 years and I quit on June 2....it wasn't easy and really it still can be a challenge, but day by day I'm getting there...You will too, this is the best place for support, come here often and read the posts and post to others....I really believe this is what got me throught the 1st 3 weeks...

Good Luck to you and if I can help with anything please let me know
0 Kudos
bessd

First, educate yourself. That's what helped me. I read about how the body/brain gets addicted to nicotine and that helped a lot (start with Wikipedia and the world will open up). I read about other people who have quit. I was on this site A LOT for the first 2 weeks. You have to make an attempt to change the way you think about smoking -- that is the key. Well that and keeping yourself distracted when the cravings hit.

Things I recommend, besides this site (which helps a TON -- there are some really supportive ppl around here):
-- Acupuncture (ask about a smoking cessation plan)
-- Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" | This is my next step in staying quit - I haven't read it yet.
-- Busy hands (anything to keep your hands active)
-- Chew toys (I used Dum Dums, but anything that isn't too bad for your health that you can chew/suck on helps)

And most of all, you need to believe in yourself that you can quit smoking. Will power is the ultimate decider, I think.
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Stephen! Most of us feel exactly the same way that you do when we start to think about quitting. That's the mental addiction that causes our minds to be irrational. What kind of friend would make you smell bad, look bad, feel bad, feel embarassment, cause you to cough, waste your money, turn your fingernails and teeth yellow, drive you crazy when they were'nt around and finally try to kill you? None of us wants a friend like that, but that is exactly how this addiction plays out. The nicodemon will feed you thoughts that are totally irrational. The key is to learn how to deflect those thoughts with positive thoughts, such as, "Smoking is not an option." The best thing you can do is start working the EX program and determining your triggers, track your smoking, distract and divert from smoking and start changing your smoking routine around. Also read as much as you can -- watch some videos on YouTube about stopping smoking. Once you have put down the cigarettes and put up a post here, you will find an incredible amount of support from those of us who have also gone through the program and/or have stopped smoking!! Having people who care to boost you up makes all the difference in the world. So, on that note, I hope to see you here soon as a bonafide EX!
0 Kudos
debby4

It's funny you mention the loss (like losing a best friend). I used to feel that way when I quit before. I was sad and depressed and moody just thinking about it. It took another 5 years of smoking to get me here again and now I realize that this is truly a "toxic" relationship and nicotine is NOT my friend. I quit tomorrow and so far don't feel sad about it (like I used to). I love to smoke too. My advice is simple: just do it! We're all here to support you and follow a plan--it really really helps. You've taken good steps already--deciding you want to quit & coming here for information & support. DO IT!! I know you can!
0 Kudos
bella3

Stephen, Welcome! You are so in the right place! I too felt like I was trying to hate my best friend, the cig, so sick, but so true. Part of me actually did have hatred toward the addiction. I was so tired of being ruled by the addiction. I have been clean from the buggers for 2 weeks today, and I can hardly believe it! I have to say this site is making the difference. I live with 2 smokers, and never thought this quit would be possible for me. Enough about me(ha ha)... You can do this, be patient with yourself, and keep coming back, we need you!
Bella 🙂
0 Kudos
stephen3

Jackie, Amazing! Congratulations!! You are truly inspiring to me. 18,099 cigarettes, $3,619.98....wow,! Saving a lot of money but most importantly saving your life!! I know how happy and proud you must feel. I can't wait! I feel stronger just by starting this. I am realizing how my owm addiction to the habit of smoking works. I think that is why I failed so many times before. I did it all patches, pills,hypnosis,accupunture...I know that when I get over the habitual aspect of smoking I will probably need something at the end to help with the nicotine.
Thank you for the strenght, I am hoping to rely on it as time goes by! Also thank you for the info on the website, I will check it out.
0 Kudos
joe10

Be Strong and Live well.

Dude... smoked a bit since 1982... stopped 51 days ago today. lean on us for support. Keep inmind youa re not alone in this fight.
0 Kudos