cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

david22

My First Discussion OMG let's smoke!

I was stupid. I ate acid, smoked pot and got drunk before I ever picked up a cigarette. Totally lame. I didn’t start cigarettes full time until I was 21. I wish we knew “way back then” that smoking was bad. Maybe I never would have started. I mean, I was doing so well with my other drug use, ya know?

In any event, my addiction got pretty bad about a year before I stopped drinking and doing other drugs. I guess if you’re putting loads of other toxins in your body and topping it off with the cherry that is nicotine, it’s REALLY bad. It was like, “Okay, let me take this pill, this drink, smoke this shit (weed) and fill the rest of my time up with cigarettes”. God, I can’t believe I didn’t die.

Well, I am midway through my sixth year of sobriety, and my involvement in self-help groups has NOT been helpful in terms of quitting. Self-help groups are the place to go to be around smokers, cause them folks is dedicated (hollah)! Kidding aside, you can truly find some great folks there who have kicked the habit, but you just gotta find the ones who aren’t going to make you feel like a piece of shit for smoking. I can’t stand the recovering smokers who are also recovering alcoholics who let out the sarcastic cough whenever they walk by you. I feel like, “Fuck you…when did you become so estranged and immune? Who is this person in front of me, because I don’t know you anymore”. I have learned so much from recovery in general, and one of those things is how to be a helpful and caring friend. Some folks miss the boat on that one because they are too busy eating healthy, doing yoga, being better than you and treating you like a piece of shit. But relax my friends, I know many wonderful folks who LOVE health, yoga and organic eats and they are the greatest people I have ever known…you just have to dig a little to find them.

I also work at a behavioral health organization that’s really big on tobacco prevention. I have to say that my team is very supportive and kind; no one has dogged me for being a smoker. But what’s interesting is that I think I have succumbed to what tobacco prevention has kinda inadvertently attempted to accomplish…it has made me feel like a freak for smoking! It’s gotten harder to keep it up. And I am still struggling with the fact that I am “giving in”. Mainly because I have always loved to tell the masses to go fuck themselves. Now I am kind of going to them and admitting how much I have been fucking myself. I need to become more comfortable with that part of it.

In the end, it’s all a good thing. Quitting is a wonderful thing no matter what way you look at it. I have had 2 previous attempts, one slightly more successful than the other (12 weeks). I know it can be done again. This Saturday, me and my crew will meet to go over our action plans and the Ex manual. We anticipate our quit date to land on August 2 or 9. I welcome your insight, feedback and other comments.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
david22

cous cous doesn't count, don't worry!!!!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Too much cous cous will still stretch your spandex out. It is tough to do yoga with a saggy butt!
0 Kudos
lynn5

Hi David - I love your bluntness! Like, hey this is me! And it is -
and it's a wonderful you. I felt the same way about smoking. Like everybody looked at you like you less than human. Humiliation is a terrible but humbling thing sometimes. I hated myself for smoking. When I started to smoke 35 years ago, it was the thing to do. Along with other things I am not quite as blunt about!!! Only, the cigarettes survived out of all the other ways I abused myself. That's because it's such a major addiction. Not a personality flaw or anything like that. Good luck to you & your group. You have a lot of strength - direct it towards your quit & all the best. Lynn
0 Kudos
phoenix2

Well David - there are all kinds in all groups...

personally, I don't like being kicked or made to feel like I'm not trying hard enough, when I try and still fail. A little sympathy & encouragement goes a long, long way towards motivation to keep trying...
0 Kudos
angela30

well I've been smoking since I was ten years old, and I am going on 28 in September and I've been wanting to quit for a while now, so I know what you are talking about, except for the drug thing..lol good luck..
0 Kudos
zeke

I relate to it all! Cigarettes are my last self induced chemical demon and i'm on it as of August the first. I have to go back and find more of the info. on this site. I somehow skipped a class! LOL Anyway I'm off to find the classroom! Maybe i should have watched all those videos. I've been watching HDTV. I must have just hit the Rosetta Stone condensed version. Okay off I go!
0 Kudos
edith2

OMG David, I can TOTALLY relate to you! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt on the drugs. I know exactly what you mean about the people in recovery who quit smoking and they think they can walk on water. Then there are those that think that anyway because they have the whole Big book memorized. And they can tell me how to work my recovery and get in my face and tell me because I'm not working the program like they are, I'm going to relapse. GRRRRRRR!!
Ignore those ignorant fucks that cough when you walk by. This is my forth time quitting and I smoked for 35 years. I've been in recovery since I was 17 and I have 32 years clean. I just made 4 years smoke-free. But I'm no better than anyone. I choose to have compassion for others and really listen to them when they talk about what they are going through. You don't have to quit on the 2nd or the 9th of August. You can quit now. I had been thinking of quitting for weeks and one day at the spur of the moment, I decided to quit. I was scared and knew about the withdrawals I would go through. I did not want to quit. I bought some lozenges, grabbed my son, and took him camping on the Oregon coast. It was hard. But I just kept working on ignoring the cravings, I asked my son alot on how I was doing and eventually I started telling others that I had quit. Whatever works for you, my friend. It's your program...make it work for you.
0 Kudos
edith2

OMG David, I can TOTALLY relate to you! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt on the drugs. I know exactly what you mean about the people in recovery who quit smoking and they think they can walk on water. Then there are those that think that anyway because they have the whole Big book memorized. And they can tell me how to work my recovery and get in my face and tell me because I'm not working the program like they are, I'm going to relapse. GRRRRRRR!!
Ignore those ignorant fucks that cough when you walk by. This is my forth time quitting and I smoked for 35 years. I've been in recovery since I was 17 and I have 32 years clean. I just made 4 years smoke-free. But I'm no better than anyone. I choose to have compassion for others and really listen to them when they talk about what they are going through. You don't have to quit on the 2nd or the 9th of August. You can quit now. I had been thinking of quitting for weeks and one day at the spur of the moment, I decided to quit. I was scared and knew about the withdrawals I would go through. I did not want to quit. I bought some lozenges, grabbed my son, and took him camping on the Oregon coast. It was hard. But I just kept working on ignoring the cravings, I asked my son alot on how I was doing and eventually I started telling others that I had quit. Whatever works for you, my friend. It's your program...make it work for you.
0 Kudos
teej

booze is legal as well! so what?
You know i can give you a two simple reasons to quit.
1) Smokers will die 33% sooner then nonsmokers (thats almost 1/2 as fast!)
2) hold you head underwater as long as you can... sucks not being able to breath doesnt it?

breathing is a great thing- imagine having to struggle for every breath you take? ouch! thats scary! that is WAY more scary then quitting-

your husband is using his junkie mentality when he justifies his continued drug addiction- "that is all I have left?" how about breathing freely? how about living?

That wonderful feeling you get after your smoke is how non smokers feel ALL THE TIME. wow- that is agreat high and i enjoy that high every day I am smoke free.
🙂
Good luck to you and your husband!
TeeJ
0 Kudos