cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marcia19

Monday Quitter!

My last cigarette was Sunday night at 11:50 pm. I tried to smoke the rest of the pack but couldn't and I did not throw them away. Probably should have, but put them in a zip lock baggie and sorta "hid them". This is so hard. I am bored cause I am retired. I just want to cry all the time. I have recently lost 35 pounds on Weight Watchers. Gained 4 pounds since Monday morning. The last time I quit I gained 45 pounds and would not go out of the house. I would really like to talk to some people, but I don't even know use this site. I feel like my brain is not working!! Someone, please help me. I thank you so much.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Oh yes - I understand COMPLETELY.  Being bored is the #1 enemy of your quit.  Get up - go for a walk - swing your arms and march!!!!!  Clean out a closet - go to the mall and look for the ugliest sweater you can find!  No reason to buy it - the hunt is the important thing!  Put music on and DANCE!  

Read "How to get started" on this page on the left so you can use all the resources on this site.  Read, read, read.  Use your mouse to click on the links that give you tips on quitting.  Click on "blogs" and read, read, read.  There are TONS of tips to help you on here and lots of good advice is given in answer to blog postings.

Take those last cigarettes and run water over them and put them in the trash.  You need to be 100% committed to this - so there is no reason to keep them.

Remember - if you think you can, you can!!!!!!!  This battle is 96% mental!

You did the right thing coming on here and asking for help.  We will support you - get committed!!!!

0 Kudos

Hi

Here's the deal on the quitting and the calories. If you know you can compensate.

You need to lessen your calorie intake by 200 calories a day to break even.

Yep.

What do you like to do? Find something you love.

You're retired now, you need to find something to keep you occupied whether you smoke or not.

Volunteering is a wonderful thing to get your mind off yourself and your boredom.

0 Kudos
mustardfaith

I think you replace smoking for eating because its another "comfort zone" try walking around the block when you get bored instead of the kitchen or take up a hobby like martial arts. A good workout is tough at first but after awhile your body will start to crave it. Set goals for yourself, but not to hard of ones.  You could take up knitting or something that uses both hands, I enjoy woodburning and thats about the only thing I do that I don't smoke at the same time, when i exersize it reminds me why i'm working on quitting in the first place (its really hard to be a smoker and exersize)

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

Hi Marcia and welcome to Ex! Use these coping techniques, they really work!   BUT you must get rid of those smokes by flushing them down the toilet where they belong because the addict within will argue with you until they are thrown out....

Stay close to this site and remember NOPE=Not One Puff Ever...and as long as you stick to this ONE SIMPLE rule, you will win....it the meantime, drink plenty of fresh cold water to rid your body of the toxins,6 smaller, nutritious meals throughout the day to keep your blood-sugar levels steady, (don't diet!)......and it will keep your blood sugar level and the low blood sugar induced fogginess and craves away.

....take big arm STRETCHES as often as needed to relax tense muscles and most importantly, take big DEEP BREATHS TO RELAX AND RELIEVE anger... take a nap, take walks, stay buzy with something you LIKE and brush you teeth immediately after each meal...stick your head in the freezer and DEEP BREATHE....If you bite into a lemon, the smoking thought will be gone instantly...try it, it works, also suck on sugarfree hard candy or lollipops and one of my friends here says be sure to use the Halls mentholyptus cough drops......Be prepared in advance for it,not surprised by it...Smoking thoughts only have power when you have fear. Face it head on and do not try to run or hide. You have the strength and power to tell it NO...You have the CHOICE to tell it NO.

0 Kudos
Ex_Nancy

The most IMPORTANT thing you can do for your quit now is to educate yourself about the addiction and the mind games it plays on us....READ,READ,READ for a successful quit...the more you read, the EASIER it is...

CHOOSE to quit smoking, not TRY. Educate yourself by reading these links to the materials that most of us have used to help us quit and STAY quit! This is about making a DECISION to never put another cigarette in your mouth, mean it, and be committed to follow through on that decision. Also allow NO excuses AND hang in there for as long as it takes, no matter how uncomfortable you become.... This is about re-learning your life WITHOUT cigarettes....start changing your "normal" routine....because a smoker's routine revolves around cigarettes. You will be a nonsmoker so change how you start your morning so it doesn't revolve around cigarette breaks, etc. You CAN do this! ....http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/Allen_Carr_s_Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking_Download_free_PDF

http://quitsmokingonline.com

0 Kudos

Hang in there. Quitting is a hard thing to do, you just have to believe that you can actually do this and really put smoking behind you. I am only on day 5 but I day dream about saying I'm on day 100 or I'm on year 5! The thought of putting my addiction in the past and moving on into a healthier life is so exciting to me that I find myself thinking about that more than I think about smoking! 

As for the weight gain- I'm in the same boat. I can see the pounds adding up every day and it's frustrating! However, my personal approach is to conquer the smoking first and then I'll put more energy into losing the weight. I am eating lots of fruits and veggies and tons of water, and I have been walking every day, but I'm also allowing myself to eat sugar and other treats in order to push passed any tough cravings. I am noticing that as my craving go down, I'm eating less- so that's encouraging! I'm planning to up the physical activity and reduce the sugar soon, but in the mean time, I'm not going to beat myself up for gaining weight and I'm not going to focus on it too much because quitting smoking is one of the biggest things I've done for my health and overall quality of life!

I also read about the affects nicotine has on blood sugar, which was interesting and helped me understand why my body is so out of whack right now. Check out whyquit.com and find lots of info about the physical impact of quitting.

Most importantly, try to remind yourself that you are doing one of the best things you could ever do for yourself, your family and for you future! 

0 Kudos
marcia19

Thanks everyone. Just reading all your posts and suggestions was such a big help already.

0 Kudos
reneenc1

Hi, Marcia, I also am  new to quitting and on WW.  I am fearful of what the scale will say, but I am more fearful of what cigarettes will do to me.  I just quit on sunday and slipped yesterday, so I am beginning new today.  I didn't feel better after I smoked, just stupid and regretful of throwing away almost two smoke-free days.  Everyone  here is SO great with support, information, encouragement, and a kick in pants if you need it.  Get to know the site, if you have etools in WW, it's not much different.  I'll be rooting for you!

0 Kudos
jojo_2-24-11

Marcia, I'd like to suggest that you get rid of the cigarettes in the baggie. Water them down, break them, get rid of them. You don't need them, you are a non-smoker.

0 Kudos