cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DaniDesi

Missing Feeling

Ever since I quit, I keep feeling like something is missing from my life. I know it has to be smoking. But I wont realize it right away. I sit down and loot around and I just feel lost, like I'm forgetting something I need to remember. Is this normal during the first week? How long will it take until I feel like nothing is missing anymore?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Slowonder

This happened to me too, but it lessened a little each day after the first week or so. Totally normal from what I've experienced and read about. It will improve!

Barbscloud

This is very common.   Quitters describe it as feeling they've lost their best friend.  Most of us smoked a long time and through every activity and emotion.   That's why it's so important to create new associations and behaviors to replace the one's that we're associated with smoking.   Be patient--you will find a new normal.

Barb

sweetplt

Yes your feelings are very normal...I believe when one quits smoking you go through the stages of grief...

pastedImage_1.jpg I am at Acceptance after hard work, plan, and working through my emotions...it takes time...and right now your number one priority is not feeding the addiction...

Gotcha in my thoughts. Colleen 526 DOF 

Maki

Oh absolutely . 

I can't tell you when it will end for you . We are all different . I can say like others , it's normal . 

Some things you may want to search are exactly that .. top right magnifying glass . It will lead you to others who have asked the same question . Some of these may help you recognize that the things you are going through are normal . 

Another good one to read in advance would be romancing the cigarette? 

I have grown kids , I relate this feeling a lot to empty nest syndrome . 

Congratulations on your first week behind you and for asking questions . 

One minute , one day , one step at a time . 

DavesTime

Exactly--the feeling of missing something, an emptiness, an incompleteness.  I felt this very strongly.  I was addicted to both smoking and to the nicotine gum (which, as a closet smoker, I used heavily).  I felt an emptiness/"missingness" not just from the lack of my habitual use of a cig when I was bored, when I finished a task, when I was stressed, angry, etc , but also from the feeling of chemical deprivation which my brain's neuroreceptors were signaling to me.  These two things made me feel that "something is missing" in a very strong way.  I think the Wellbutrin helped alleviate some of that feeling, but it was still there.  The chemical-induced feeling will eventually go away as the brain relearns what is a normal supply of dopamine.  The habitual associations with having a cigarette will loosen in time as you experience life without relying on smoking.  Press on, you are on the way to freedom!

maryfreecig

Very normal--you are getting over an addiction! One day at a time is how you get over things like being foggy, craving, missing something... It's all a part of the quit process--journey. As you stick to your decision and work through the ups and downs, you'll gain more and more confidence. You've worked your quit for several days now and that is a big deal, congratulations on making your quit work. Keep it coming.

Mandolinrain

I really cannot add to anything here.. I love sweetplt replay with the graph. I think it's very realistic and applicable to us all. Stay strong, keep posting and stay near to us. Your doing great

elvan

It certainly is normal, I don't know anyone who did not feel it.  I would start to leave the house and look all over for my cigarettes and then remember...oh yeah, I don't do that anymore.  I can't remember exactly when I stopped feeling it, it was pretty gradual so I didn't really pay much attention.  This addiction is very powerful and chances are that you associate smoking with just about everything, I know that I did.  It WILL get better, it just takes time.

Hang in there...say NOPE, Not One Puff Ever as often as you need to.  

Ellen