cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Hermaba

Mind Set

So what do you do when you know you have to quit smoking but really do not want to. How does one get that mind shift?

Tags (1)
16 Replies
dwwms

Other than the obvious reasons, is there a particular reason you have to quit smoking? Health?

I cannot say there is a magic bullet that will all of a sudden change everything - here's my story:

I've known for a long time that I should quit, but having failed so many times, I had reached the point where I had pretty much accepted that I would always smoke. A couple of years ago, a lung scan showed mild signs of emphysema and yet, I ignored what it was telling me. Since last fall, I'd noticed that I was getting out of breath on my daily walks easier than I had been. Slowly (and reluctantly) I started entertaining thoughts that I needed to quit. I had an appointment for my yearly exam with my doctor in early March and I knew he was once again going to be after me to quit. I recollected that last year I had told him I enjoyed smoking and he had asked what is it that you enjoy? It was a difficult question to answer. So about the end of February, I decided I had to quit. I told him, we talked about a plan. I decided on using an NRT to start with to help since I knew from previous attempts, the psychological aspect was harder for me than the physical part. That way, I could concentrate on dealing with one before the other.  Still not being very certain - I came here and followed the advice of educating myself - I found Allen Carr's book extremely helpful. I didn't necessarily agree with everything but it helped change my mindset from I enjoy smoking to I am not giving up anything, there are only positive gains to be made. Additionally, as I tracked my cigarettes for 3 weeks prior to my quit date, I not only wrote down when I smoked, how strong the urge was and what the trigger was but also I honestly assessed how much I enjoyed the smoke and how it made me feel afterwards. I found that honestly there were very few I actually enjoyed that much and in most cases it made me feel foggy or lightheaded. These two factors started changing how I viewed smoking. Last of all was being on this site - listening to others, their encouragement, their struggles and how they felt once they had succeeded. 3 weeks into my quit and although I know I have a long ways to go yet, it has been one of the easier quits I have ever attempted because I have a positive view of quitting and the support I need.

Doug

gardenancy8

Great answer!  

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

It would be helpful for you to understand your addiction and to that end, I will recommend Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking." I never found it easy, but I DID learn how the addiction affected my body and mind.  I learned that all the things I attributed getting from smoking were all lies and that I was not giving up a THING!  It was enlightening to me - and I hope it will be for you, as well.

Smoking WILL take your breath, and perhaps your life, as well.  Getting educated is the way to truly understand this!

Nancy

elvan

Hermaba‌  This is a journey and it is one day at a time, when that is too long, make it one hour at a time or one minute or one second!  Education and support brought me to over 3 years after 47 years as a smoker.  I will not tell you it was easy because it was WORK but I am so happy to have found this site, it seriously has  saved my life.  You can do this, if I can do it ANYONE CAN!

Happier2

To be honest, I don't think any smoker wants to quit. We want to smoke and not have any of the health issues. We want both. When it happened to me, my mind addressed me "choose", it was clear I couldn't have both. When we were younger our body could acclimate to the things we did to it. Whether it was to burn the candles at both ends, drink too much, exercise hard... whatever.

But as we age we are shocked, and we grieve that we can't do things that we used to. We have to work harder and make excuses to ourselves that we can still do it. Having to let go of things that used to be so mindless is very challenging.

I had to take a hard look at what I was doing to myself. I had to decide to keep things as they were even with my body screaming at me to "cut it out"  --- or make the change. I began with why do I keep doing what I know is good common sense, scientifically proven that is hazardous to my health, finance, and happiness?

I thought liked it.. but I considered that thought again.. lets see..

I like spending close to 4.00 a pack to burn 20 times, and light up again.

I like that it goes out before i've had a chance to pick it up out of the ashtray,

I like that it is hot and dry and I have to sip on something just to keep my mouth feeling a little moist.

I like it helped me lose weight .. 30yrs ago and now I weight more than I did then.

I liked that it helped me think..do I really need a lit carcinogenic product to think?

I liked that it calmed me down, helped me regroup in my head, get away from the hustle of life for minute..do i need to do that with a cigarette?

I liked that every mirror and window that gets cleaned is brown on the paper towel.. that means the furniture is also brown - hmmm, that means my clothes are brown, that means my 50 something year old body inside is brown - or is it black.

I didn't like waking up in the night with heartburn so severe it felt like a heart attack

I didn't like hearing myself breathing that sounded like crinkling paper .. that's me breathing?

I didn't like that the cost of those cigarettes were really costing me more.

I didn't like learning that smoking is found to cause diabetes.. oh no! I don't want that!

I didn't like that the cigarette had been lying to me. I didn't look good, feel good or smell good.

I had figured a way for years to find the money to buy them ... when all I really need to do was to roll up a dollar bill and glue it together and light it up. And the value of that seemed ridiculous to me.

I'm a cost-effective kind of person. If they raise the price, I kinda think the quality  or something should account for the price going up.. instead it was not. I was just older, and having to make a decision. Was nicotine going to have the last say of what I was going to do? ( kind of like being told to do something against your will)

Ya know what it is like to suddenly have a whiff of kerosene or diesel.. ? First thing you do is speak of it's odor, then you try to move away from it - cause it's  clinging to the inside of your nose. Your eyes may water and squint... that's the body trying to survive your environment. Stay around that odor for a bit and you start to acclimate to it to the point it doesn't bother anymore. It's  still there even when you're not around it. And everyone but me knew I was around it. Kind of like smoking is.

Decide to make smoking disgusting..I mentally made my cigarettes - pickled beets- never putting those in my mouth-  it really is a decision. But you have to make it. It's not coming to you. The first several times I had a thought for a cig I had to talk myself out of it and remind myself what I liked and didn't like about it. Now, just repeating the words "pickled beets" conjures up a disgusting thought. I put my cigarette out in pickled beet juice, watched the cigarette become pink-tinged and odor was gross.

Do everything to make yourself decide... no way I'm putting that in my mouth again. The kiss from a cigarette is not a friendly kiss.

freeneasy

Learn about nicotine addiction. I thought I liked it too but what you really like is getting a nicotine fix and dopamine release. You may not want to quit but you can if you are willing. 

0 Kudos
gardenancy8

you read all about the addiction!  And then you go to whyquit.com and read the stories of people who were in their forties and cigarettes killed them!  I always ignored the stats from Dr.s, I knew that cigs could kill a person, but I paid no attention.  But then I went to whyquit.com and really made myself pay attention and read the stories of these people!  It worked, so at the beginning of my quit I had some pretty big craves, so I went straight to that page and read another persons story.  Shoot I even went to youtube and found stories of people what have COPD etc....  I needed a huge wake up call!    And stay close to this group everyday! It is a huge part of my quit.

You don't need to want to quit. Quitting is a decision. I quit because a friend asked me if I would quit to influence his older brother to quit.

You must decide to quit and be willing.

Willingness NOT Willpower