cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Hermaba

Mind Set

So what do you do when you know you have to quit smoking but really do not want to. How does one get that mind shift?

Tags (1)
16 Replies
lisalhh

Willingness. A very important part of anyone's quit. Still, you won't advance your quit at all without Willpower. Put them both together and what do you find? Desire.

0 Kudos

I did. I didn't quit for me. I didn't have to quit. I didn't necessarily want to quit. I decided and I was willing. that was over 10 years ago after smoking for 40 years.

lisalhh

You are literally one in a million. First off, helping people is a wonderful thing and gives a person a wonderful feeling for having done so. On the other hand ...

I'm sure there's a statistic somewhere, but people who can put that pack of cigs down and walk away without looking back are few and far between.

0 Kudos

I think the way I did it was why I succeeded. My mind works things through problems before I actually tackle a problem so I already know the outcome.

0 Kudos
lisalhh

Gee. That's a little different, but I can see the benefits of your method. Coming from the person who blogged "In My Own Way and Time," I certainly understand!

0 Kudos

So have you decided yet, Hermaba‌ or are you willing to die for your Addiction?

elvan

Hermaba‌ I really did WANT to quit, I was tired of feeling like I was being judged by the world for my stupidity and that is exactly what I began to see smoking AS...serious stupidity.  I knew that it was hurting me, I knew that I was wasting money and, more importantly, I was wasting my LIFE.  I had to seriously reevaluate my priorities, I had to accept that quitting was a journey and that it would have to be one day at a time and maybe one minute at a time for a while.  I had to be WILLING as JonesCarpeDiem‌ points out.  Willpower failed me many times in the past and I had to accept that if I learned everything I possibly could about nicotine addiction and I reached out to these successful quitters and LISTENED to them that I really COULD do this.  I really COULD be an EX-smoker and I could, just maybe, help other people to become EX-smokers as well.  I will not tell you that it was easy, it wasn't and I had some serious challenges along the way but I found that the really tough times were not the times when I was most challenged to smoke, those times were surrounded by so much chaos that I couldn't even THINK about taking the time to smoke.  Smoking takes time...time to find a place where you CAN smoke, time to actually smoke, and then the time that it STEALS from you because it is taking time from your life, your life expectancy, your life with your family, your GOOD times as well as the hard ones.  Please listen to all of the advice you have been given, do your "homework" and make your decision, Thomas3.20.2010‌ asked you a very real question...ARE you?

Ellen