cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ree

May Quitters

just signed up and finished my profile. I have picked my quit date and it happens to be in May. so I decided to join the other May quitters. Good Luck to all you May quitters
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
292 Replies
laurib77

Hope this day finds everyone well and determined to begin a new day becoming a non-smoker. When I talked with my doctor last week, I told him I can't look at this change I am making as something that is being taken away from me, something I resent or feel deprived of, something that is being ripped from my bleeding fingertips...lol. I need to view it as another step I am taking in my life's journey...becoming a non-smoker - and focus on all the new and good feelings I am experiencing everytime I have a success at quitting. This morning I made my coffee and then....I waited almost 10 minutes to light up. It felt good seperating my trigger from the 'dirty deed'. I smoked half and put it out I was so disgusted and coughing. My quit date is May 5, right around the corner and I am nervous and wondering if I will be strong enough to do this. I bought lozenges, have patches, and purchased a quit smoking hypnosis cd...lol. Hey, I am willing to try anything and everything to quit. I think that's what it takes. You have to want this more than anything else in your life right now. And you have to do it for yourself and nobody else. This is how I am handling my addiction to smoking.

0 Kudos
ladyhawk13

Hi. Im Tracey and Im posting this from Australia. My quit date is 17th May and I am really excited about quitting.  I have been smoking for some 26 yrs with a couple of breaks but Im tired of smoking. My husband quit a year ago after a mild stroke and he is excited as well. My kids are looking forward to having a nice smelling mum and have told me they will fully support me. Going out today to stock up on quit aids as I start the pre-patches in 2 days. I wish everyone the best of luck and will try and log in regularly for updates and support.

0 Kudos

Hello, my quit day is the 13th of may, it is my dad's birthday and it will be a good day to quit. I've been smoking for 30 years now and it is my time to quit. It will help me to quit with support so I'm looking forward to coming back to this group. Take care and have a great day.

0 Kudos
margy

I'm DONE with this crap!  I feel different this time, from the other times I have quit.  I'm taking it as a good sign.  I don't even care if I gain weight.  Bring on the pounds!  Dieting is a lot easier that this!

I quit this morning and feel a little loopy from the nicotine patch and keep thinking of cigarettes.  I've already caught myself grabbing for my pack before realizing that there wasn't anything there!

I keep telling myself 'I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY.  I'LL SMOKE TOMORROW.'  Tomorrow I plan to say the same thing.  I have already replaced where I used to lay my pack in my trigger locations in my house and car with post it notes that say this.  One day @ a time.  I will not smoke today.  If I can remember this, I will be a success!

Good luck everyone.

Margy.

0 Kudos

Hello to all!!!  I just wanted to take a minute to wish you all the best... I actually quit one year ago today!!!!!!!  There was a time when I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to say that or not, but here we are, one year later and SOOOOOO happy I made the committment to being en EX!!  I'm not going to tell you that it was an easy process, but it wasn't too bad for too long and then one day it was just "gone" and I was ME again!   This is probably the best decision I've ever made for myself, so stick it out!  I'm now 8 months pregnant and looking forward to meeting my first son soon :)!  My husband and I are so thankful that I gave this habbit up and moved on with my life, it is so empowering to know that you have within you all the strength to overcome this addiction... and soon you will KNOW that you have whatever you need within you to overcome ANYTHING!  Good luck, best wishes, and know that there is someone out there who stood in your shoes not that long ago and succeeded!!!  Namaste!

0 Kudos
freeatlast4

Hi,  I am in for May 10th, sounded like a great date when I set it 6 weeks ago...no but really, I promise to enjoy this one.  Have smoked for over 20 years and a little nervous about who this ex-smoker is.  Thanks for this group Mammabeth!!!

0 Kudos
amy18

Hello everyone!

A year ago today I stuck some nictotine patches on and stopped smoking.  It was the best thing I have ever done.  I had been smoking over 20 a day every day since the age of 15 (I was 29 when I stopped).  I have popped back to this forum to wish everyone luck.  I can honestly say that this forum was the most important element to my sucess.  I found others who were going through the same process as me and feeling the same.  The mutual support helped me through.  It is hard, but it is worth it.   Good luck to all of you and use this forum to help you through.  No-one else can help as much as people who have stopped at the same time as you.

Best of luck to all.

Amy

0 Kudos
scooty77

Hi everyone, I'm a professional quitter.  I'm serious when I say I've thrown away a half a pack once every 2 months with the intentions of quitting.  Sometimes I'll make it several days even before I go out and buy a new pack.  I smoke about 6-10 a day.  Just that amount makes my lungs hurt and I cough a lot.  I've been smoking since I was 14, on and off.  I'm so ready to quit for good.  I don't think I'll use any medications this time other than jumping on my treadmill when I have a craving.  Excited to read all the suggestions you might have to stay away from this nasty habit.

0 Kudos
ronshannon76

Hi everybody! My name is Ron and I have been smoking for about 23 years now. I have poking around this website for about 3 weeks now and I decided to take the plunge and join up.

I actually made the decision to quit smoking 7 weeks ago after having talked about doing it for many months, far too long. My wife and sister decided to join the cause and quit smoking too. We have been so ready to be smoke free.

We made our quit date for May 1st. I surrounded myself with nicorrette gum and a Electronic Cigarette. The gum is alright and works most times just as long as you use it in the correct way. I've tried it before and I didnt like it.

I got myself an Electronic cigarette from Njoy. It works great, just like a real cig. If you have not tried one of these, then I would highly reccomend you getting one. It really does act like a real cig. It uses water and liquid nicotine to create a mist/ vapor that simulates smoke. It does give you the sensation like a tobacco cig just without all the harmful junk that is in a tobacco filled cig.

I use a combination of both to help me get off cigs. They help me, but they do not replace the support that you get from this website. I found that when you are quitting and you end up talking about it all the time, other people just dont want to listen.

My wife and sister are quitting too and they say i talk too much about it. Therefore, no one wants to be around a guy talking about quitting smoking when they are quitting too. I can understand that. I just dont know what else to do. It bothers be a great deal knowing that cigarettes have had such an addicting grip on my thoughts and prevented me from thinking clearly. I became a slave to tobacco-filled cigarettes.

"I do not want to be a slave to cigarettes any longer!"

So I am here, a part of this community of ex and soon-to-be Ex smokers to help me quit and stay quit. Thank you and I look forward to continuing to fight this madness of quitting cigarettes. God bless and God speed to all!

-Ron

0 Kudos
Maureen_MoJo

Hello everyone,my name is MoJo.My quit day is in two days *shaking in my boots*lol.I've been a smoker for 30 years.I tied to quit last year,but I really didnt have all the tools needed to stop.I feel prepared and ready for this journney.I have fibromyalgia,Lupus,and recovering from aback surgery.I do pretty good considering.I work out at least 4 times a week.I hope that helps me in this journey.I know it will!I have a son who is a physical therapist.I live in sunny California.I just wanted to say hello.Good luck on your journey.I wish everyone the best.Good night:-)

0 Kudos