cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DOCmarkC

March Quitters

I wonder if we start getting a bunch of new members starting late this month?
  Then we will have the '08's and the '09's!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
767 Replies
bobby-brown

Just something to ponder:

Don't overlook the wonder of the ordinary.

The extraordinary, the amazing, the phenomenon are daily glorified in the movies, the news, and on television. Our senses become bombarded. We become addicted to drama. The only things that get our attention are the big, catastrophic, knee-jerking events.

Take a closer look at your life, your everyday world, and the people and activities in it. If it were all taken from you in one moment, what would you miss? What sights, what sounds, what smells? Would you miss the view from your kitchen window? If you were never to see that scene again, would you nostalgically reminisce about it, wishing you could see it one more time, remembering how beautiful it was, and how much that familiar sight comforted you in your daily life?

What about those toys strewn about or the baby crying because he's hungry or wet? What about the sounds of the city you live in as it comes to life each morning? Or how about how your child smells after her bath? Or when she comes in cold from playing in the snow?

What about the way your friend smiles, or that little thing he says all the time that's not funny but he thinks it is, so you laugh?

Look closely at the ordinary in your life. While you're being grateful, don't forget to express pure, sheer gratitude for how beautiful the ordinary really is. We can easily overlook the ordinary, take it for granted. The sun rises and sets, the seasons come and go, and we forget how beautiful and sensational the familiar really is.

God thank you for every detail of my ordinary, everyday world.
0 Kudos
lisa32009

Good morning! I had a terrible craving for a smoke this morning on my way to work. I thought those cravings were long gone. Can't figure out why it overcame me like that, but it did. I'm still Patch-ing it, and didn't give into the urge, I just thought it very odd that after 5 1/2 weeks it would hit me like that. Good thing my ride to work is only 16 miles, or I probably would still be thinking about it. Thanks, you guys for listening! 🙂
0 Kudos
joanne

I have found a terrific "crutch" to get me past those cravings. Menthol cough drops!! I like the suger-free, black cherry ones. I was a menthol cigarette smoker for lots of years, these seem to give me an alternative to the breathe-in sensation from the cigarettes. I only need to use them, maybe a few times a day.
0 Kudos
bobby-brown

Another Thought For The Day:

Some days I feel like a tightrope walker.
  - Jeannette N.

We all perform a balancing act, trying to keep perspective on what's important and what is not. Sometimes we fall: crazy drivers cut into our lane; the supermarket line takes forever; the baby's crying. At those times a minor insult at work or a cross word from a friend is just too much, and we lose our cool - and our balance.

We've had lots of practice being out of balance, so we have to work harder to regain it, but now we have the tools to change. Our program gives us a new focus, reminds us of what's important in our lives. We're reminded, too, of our powerlessness over people, places, and things. These ideas are new to us at first. We thought we had to control everything and everyone around us, and so we failed. But now we're learning how to keep our balance, and recover it when we've lost it. With practice, we'll get better every day. Now, we're learning how to let go and let God.

Today help me remember what's important. Help me keep my balance.

Have a smoke free and balanced day to all
0 Kudos
heidi8

Interesting perspective Bobby....thanks for sharing - I may have to re-read this after another cuppa joe! I'll get on my unicycle and practice that balancing thing! 🙂
0 Kudos
teresa15

I have a pair of New Balance sneakers, I have to tell you.... They don't work! HA Ha Ha!!!! Bare foot and 60 days smoke free today!!!!! Funny, in the beginning I felt that quitting smoking was like riding a bike without training wheels for the first time. Wobbley at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.
0 Kudos
lisa32009

You guys are a hoot! But, that's what it is...I'm out of balance. Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but that IS what it IS! I stepped down the the last set of patches this morning, the 7 mg. Boy are these patches small! Still going strong! Happy weekend to everyone, we're having rain all weekend here in the NE. 🙂
0 Kudos
teresa15

Rain, Rain come this way before ole Florida fades away! Darn it RAIN!!!!!!! Can't wash our cars, or water the dead grass due to restrictions. Will probably take the boat out tomorrow, then we have to take it to the do it yourself car wash to wash it.
  I tell ya Florida is going to shrivel up and fall right off the U.S.
  Happy Friday.
0 Kudos
sandi8

47 days for me which i never thought i would see. Teresa great quit

So far i have had only 3 bad days. I made up my mind i am doing this. even if i wanted to start up again i think hubby and kids would kill me so lets see die from cigs and family or not smoke i will not smoke
0 Kudos
teresa15

Good job Sandi and Mary. We can handle this. I just booked a trip to Connecticut today with my mom for July. I could have never done that when I was a smoker. (She doesn't smoke) I will finally get to see her hometown. We are going to have an awesome time.
0 Kudos