cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

MIA

Hi everyone.  I haven’t posted in a long time.  I have been checking in tho.  I dropped to the 7mg patch in February and it has not been going well, even with the back up lozenges.  Coincidentally many emotional and other physical issues have come up too.  This has resulted in withdrawl as it’s all I think about.  I don’t really need any advice, but I sure need to just get out my frustration.  I’ve read so much about nicotine and withdrawl I could scream.  So much conflicting info out there when I question something I am feeling.  The very worst of this is being alone in real life.   2nd is the clockwork of symptoms so I know when bad times will hit, regarding smoking and the other issues.  It’s complicated too. That the list of too little and too much nicotine look about the same.   That I can do very little physically to distract or want to is depressing.  I’m discouraged also as I really don’t feel any benefits like everyone talks about.  4 months into this and I feel worse than I ever have.  It’s not just the quit, it’s the tangle of so many huge issues and losing steam to unravel them.  All I want to do is sleep.  Escape.  My whole world is medically centered and in sleep I am free!

29 Replies
Gwenivere

DonnaMarie‌, I am using Xanax.  Was on it before I even started this for panic disorder.  This quit thing sure has amped that thru the roof.  But over 4 months?   I’m totally baffled.  

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

You haven't been nicotine-free for 4 months, that's why you still have withdrawal symptoms.

DonnaMarie

The addiction is the thing with a quit. Getting clean is huge. Eat well, drink a ton of water, sleep when you can, walk if you have a chance, do anything other than smoke. It sounds like you want to make this work and we're here pulling for you. If you are having issues, do talk to your doctor. If you haven't already, read Allen Carr's Easy Way quit smoking book. You can get it for free at the library or on Amazon for a low price for your e-reader or really cheap as a paperback. It saved my life. I keep a copy on my Kindle app. Always.

I guess what I'm saying is channel that energy and put it to work for you. And come here often

Donna

Baby-J

I know you said no advice and I respect that.... that being said we are all in this together and we hear you, I hear you...quitting is a cow and I am brand new into quitting only 18 days since I quit and I understand it is not easy. I am using chantix and it really has helped take the edge off. I remember trying to use nrts they did not do it for me always left me wanting. Chantix made it possible for me to stop smoking without the grippling side effects of withdraw...I am still taking it and I am scared when I'll have to be "on my own" I'm hoping that after the chantix is over and done with then I will have learned enough about myself to know that I can "get through " ______"--(insert unpleasant situation here) without a ciggarette. Because the truth is ciggarettes dont help. They are not a solution they are a problem that perpetuates other problems in pur lives. I tell myself this often and also when going through a rough patch I say to myself, well, I made it through this (insert rough situation you went through without smoking) and did fine. Part of withdraw isnt so much being without the nicotine as it is realizing that you are learning to live though these troubling situations without them. It's new stress that makes it feel like you're on a new quit. But you're not new this is just new stuff you're learning to deal with without a smoke.

I noticed you said you started having a really rough time when you stopped the patch. Maybe go back to the patch and use a smaller dose (I'm not sure the dosage of the patches. 

Another thing that helped me during the stress times is realizing that smoking a cigg will not help me "figure it out" or "calm me down" that instead that ability was always in me without the smokes...so empowering. 

I dont know if this is advice cuz I dont mean it to be I just hope you are feeling better and telling you what is currently working for me. Oh one good thing about chantix is it's not nicotine. I hope you are well we are in this together. 

TW517

I hope it gets better for you soon.  But super proud that you've made it 4 1/2 months smoke free with everything else going on in your life!  Great job!

AnnetteMM

No advice from me; I hate those f*cking patches! Seriously, except for the lucky few, I think they do more harm than good. Just my 2 cents.

Gwenivere

AnnetteMM‌, now that I have been using them, I’m not sure of anything.  I’m afraid to quit them.  I know several people that swore by them.  I wish this were a simple quit.  By that I mean that was all I am battling.  No quit is easy or simple.  I’m just discouraged I don’t feel better for it.  All this misery and I can’t really name one thing I feel better about for doing it.  I’m hoping that turns around because smoking was a lot easier than this.  I miss thinking clearly most of all.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

So good to hear from you Gwen.  I've been thinking about you. Sorry you're still having a hard time, but like I keep saying, you're a strong person to have maintained a 4 month quit even though you don't feel well.   No advice, just lots of support.

Barb

indingrl

I am so sorry your hurting and sick and tired of nicotine education and nicotine reading so Please call your PROFESSIONAL therapist and doctor - WE are NOT PROFESSIONAL therapists or PROFESSIONAL doctors-  to HELP YOURSELF Gwenivere -  PLEASE call YOUR OWN PERSONAL professionals-  WE ARE RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICTS- its ok to VENT BLOG - yet in YOUR PERSONAL VENT BLOG YOU said you sleep and are free  -  you say you are depressed- PLEASE HELP YOUR SELF AND CALL YOUR PROFESSIONAL DOCTORS  - thank you - gentle hug.

Gwenivere

The docs are aware.  Thank Indin.