cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jacob5

Lozanges, Patches, etc

I'm using lozenges to quit but am just posing a question for others.... I'm wondering if they're worth it? I thought it would help while trying to break the habit part, but am finding myself feeling the same cravings every two hours and wondering, am I just going to have to try and get off these lozenges? Maybe cold turkey is wiser? Any thoughts, suggestions?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
kim41

Hey supermommy4... I tried the Chantix too. It seemed to work great until I had to increase the dosage and that's when I started getting sick. I had to stop using it. I work in healthcare and a doc friend of mine told me that for some people staying on the lowest dose for a little longer than recommended might do the trick. It takes a while for the med to stabilize in the system. So if the recommendation is to stay on the lowest dose for week, try two or three weeks, then increase it. And don't try to quit until you can increase the dosage. I think you'll find that as the med builds in your system you'll feel less and less like smoking. Until you're ready to give it up completely. Some people have had very good luck with it... and if it takes a month or two longer for you, it's better than not quitting at all!!
0 Kudos
supermommy4

I'm not sure about the lozenges or the gum. I tried patches and found myself smoking with them on which is a huge no no. Now I'm trying Chantix and took my first dose yesterday. I plan to have my quite date on the 15th but I think that might be to soon. I think if you hold off on the lozenges till you are having such a craving you can't stand it anymore it might help to not use them so much. Hope that was somewhat helpful. GOOD LUCK
0 Kudos
kim41

Hey Jacob.. I have the lozenges too. I used them when my workplace went smoke-free and found that they didn't really help a lot. I wasn't quitting then though, was being forced to not smoke which is a guarantee of failure. I think they CAN be helpful when you're really trying to quit, but most of the problem with smoking (for me, anyway) is the ACTION of smoking... holding it, puffing it. No lozenge or gum is going to help with that. My best friend quit using the gum and has done very well with it, says she even likes it now. But is wondering how in the world to get off the gum! I don't think that's such a problem since it isn't the nicotine that's so harmful. I say keep at it.. yes, you're going to have cravings, and the lozenge or gum will help with the nicotine part of it, but it's the ACTION of smoking that's the big hurdle. I wish you good luck.
0 Kudos
jacob5

I tried Chantix a while back and it just wasn't the fix for me. As listed in all the threads above, the actual process of smoking is the part I LOVE. With that said, don't not do it if you think it will work, I have three friends that quit on Chantix. I just found myself getting pissed off when I inhaled I didn't feel anything. lol. I finally threw away the Chantix and kept smoking. hahahahahahha. I'm terrible. Seriously though, one of my friends that smoked for 30 years has been quit 3 years another just had her 1 year anniversary, both used Chantix.

Good luck!
0 Kudos
jacob5

I'm not sure what to do with the action of smoking. Everyone has suggestions at work, but I feel like I'm going to lose my mind.
0 Kudos
supermommy4

I really appreciate all the feedback on the Chantix. I think all of it will help. I really think I'll be O.K. and won't miss the action of smoking cuz honestly it is more of a bother than not. I have 3 young children and I smoke outside and it always turns into a family event. There is no quick smoke in this household. I really need to quite for their sake but I know myself well enough to know I have no will power. So I will give the Chantix some time and hopefully within a couple weeks I will be throwing them out for good.
0 Kudos
nicky3

I tried Chantix too and had problems sleeping and bad dreams so I stopped using it. And before that I tried the lozanges several years ago and did stop for a few weeks and then got tired of letting them melt in my mouth which began to feel like it took an eternity till it dissolved and I also did not think the effect lasted long. I'm new here and just started recording how many cigs I'm smoking per day (first day) and am thinking of trying cold turkey. From what I'm reading that might be very hard to do. Guess I could get some gum and keep it on hand.
0 Kudos
jacob5

We're here for you Nicky and it is hard - I've just decided to make myself do it and quit thinking about it. I finally realized there will never be a good time, it will always be this hard, just do it. 🙂
0 Kudos
jacob5

Good luck to you with it... I know it does have a high success rate. I think with each of the methods some work for some and don't for others. Everyone is so unique with that.
0 Kudos