cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

Low dose CT Scan for Lung cancer

Hi!

I'm new to this site and to most of you.  

I wanted to put in a plug for this terrific advance in the detection of lung cancer, especially for smokers and ex-smokers.

I'm the poster girl for who this scan was made for.  I quit smoking a little over 5 years ago, after 40+ years smoking.  A year and a half ago I requested this test and my doctor ordered it.  There were nodules on the lungs, which google told me were pretty normal... but the radiologist recommended repeat in 3 months.  Three months later, one of the nodules was "stable or slightly larger", which had my doc send me to a pulmonologist, who flat out said 'Nodules are usually considered benign until proven otherwise... EXCEPT in people who've smoked, in which case they are presumed malignant until prove otherwise."  Ok, now I'm scared.  The nodule was small, small enough that he asked a radiologist if further studies should be done.  And the answer was "YES,  PET scan now".  So that was done, and the nodule lit up like a christmas light (meaning it hypermetabolized the contrast, meaning "probably malignant").  On to biopsy.  The nodule was of a size that the Interventional radiologist said "This is the smallest nodule I will biopsy, any smaller and we'd wait and see a bit".  Biopsy... nonsmall-cell squamous carcinoma.

Ok, at that point I took myself to the Stanford University cancer treatment center.  After more testing and consults, it was determined I was not suitable for surgery because of COPD (also thanks to smoking  )... BUT, SABR (stereotactic ablation) treatment was a viable and effective option since I had no signs of metastases.

Short story long  ... I am one year post treatment, no signs of recurrence, none of the other nodules has grown yet, and the tumor is really most sincerely dead.  All because of early detection by the LOW DOSE CT SCAN FOR LUNG CANCER.

I'm gratified that recently I have even seen TV commercials for this screening, it is a powerful message.  I do have to say it looks like the mountain of cigarettes that the ex-smoker climbs each cigarette has about 1 puff taken out of it... I probably smoked more cigarettes than she climbed, but I sure didn't leave that much behind ...LOL, nope, it all went in my lungs.

Don't wait until you have symptoms of Lung cancer... get tested now.

Tags (1)
36 Replies
Giulia

Thank you so much for this information marciem.  Blessings on your head.

I don't stop into this community much these days or comment (too busy living it) but I noticed your post and must say THANK YOU for continuing to educate people wherever you can re them getting a low dose CT scan (and their right to even ask for it!).  You are still saving lives or at least changing their ending for the better.  Thanks for caring and taking the time (and moving forward on your quest after the demise of QSMB).  Continued blessings to you!

indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS on over 5 YEARS NICOTINE FREE! Good job and thank you so much for sharing your RECOVERING NON SMOKING LIFESTYLE MIRACLE.... God is good ALL the time. Please keep coming BACK! beautiful God outcome and extra blessing commerical grl WOW you go grl.... please BLOG more adventures of STAYING QUIT NO MATTER WHAT... keep on keeping on

missellen

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Glad you're still with us.

Thank you for your story.

Live long

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Just don' t go for too many CT scans even if low dose radiation is carcinogenic too .

espivey

I agree!  I've been smoking 40 years and had this done recently and all if showed was one small nodule.  They recommended doing it again in a year.  Medicare paid 100% for it too!

desiree465

Thanks for sharing I posted a question about that commercial this morning. Glad to see that you got ahead of the cancer. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Thanks for raising this issue.  Lung CT's are the standard now as opposed to chest x-rays.   I've had them annually for a few years now.  Obviously, the intent is to catch lung cancer sooner.  I actually participated in a study at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute a number of years back to determine if they were a better indicator than x-rays.   I still receive a follow-up letter each year inquiring about my current health.  I recommend for current and previous smokers.

KTQeeyore

I had my yearly low dose CT scan recently and all was well! Thanks for the Information Marcie!