cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

Low dose CT Scan for Lung cancer

Hi!

I'm new to this site and to most of you.  

I wanted to put in a plug for this terrific advance in the detection of lung cancer, especially for smokers and ex-smokers.

I'm the poster girl for who this scan was made for.  I quit smoking a little over 5 years ago, after 40+ years smoking.  A year and a half ago I requested this test and my doctor ordered it.  There were nodules on the lungs, which google told me were pretty normal... but the radiologist recommended repeat in 3 months.  Three months later, one of the nodules was "stable or slightly larger", which had my doc send me to a pulmonologist, who flat out said 'Nodules are usually considered benign until proven otherwise... EXCEPT in people who've smoked, in which case they are presumed malignant until prove otherwise."  Ok, now I'm scared.  The nodule was small, small enough that he asked a radiologist if further studies should be done.  And the answer was "YES,  PET scan now".  So that was done, and the nodule lit up like a christmas light (meaning it hypermetabolized the contrast, meaning "probably malignant").  On to biopsy.  The nodule was of a size that the Interventional radiologist said "This is the smallest nodule I will biopsy, any smaller and we'd wait and see a bit".  Biopsy... nonsmall-cell squamous carcinoma.

Ok, at that point I took myself to the Stanford University cancer treatment center.  After more testing and consults, it was determined I was not suitable for surgery because of COPD (also thanks to smoking  )... BUT, SABR (stereotactic ablation) treatment was a viable and effective option since I had no signs of metastases.

Short story long  ... I am one year post treatment, no signs of recurrence, none of the other nodules has grown yet, and the tumor is really most sincerely dead.  All because of early detection by the LOW DOSE CT SCAN FOR LUNG CANCER.

I'm gratified that recently I have even seen TV commercials for this screening, it is a powerful message.  I do have to say it looks like the mountain of cigarettes that the ex-smoker climbs each cigarette has about 1 puff taken out of it... I probably smoked more cigarettes than she climbed, but I sure didn't leave that much behind ...LOL, nope, it all went in my lungs.

Don't wait until you have symptoms of Lung cancer... get tested now.

Tags (1)
36 Replies
marciem

WOO HOO, Eeyore!!  That's wonderful news!! 

The relief seems to me to be worth whatever the cost (didn't work quite that way for me, but if I HAD showed all was well,  it would have been worth the cost LOL!  You KNOW it was worth anything and everything, in my case!)

Giulia

Good news!  Glad for you.

Opidfght

I also had a low dose ct lu g scan 5 years ago where the decovered a lu g nodule  on my lungs 3 months nothing changed still the same size today, dr says scan 1 ti e a year to make sure it stays the same after 5 years it hasnt changed went for 3 mmonths then 3 months then 6 months since and theres still no change. But you never no it could be changed the next time i go . Preventive  scans are inportant to get if your an ex smoker. Cause you never no what they will find.

avian3

Mine also came back "normal" this year. I think this was my 6th or 7th. I have lost track. 

Even though I have been fortunate each time when it comes to results. I never take it for granted that the next one will be the same. Every year I get anxious as I wait for the results. The fact that we will be able to catch it early is what we are aiming for. This is just another step after quitting smoking to live a longer healthier life.

ninalp

I just made an appointment for lung screening.  Now I’m scared to go.  It’s in two weeks from today…

Barbscloud

@ninalp Welcome to the Ex. So glad you made your appointment.  The CT scan can predict things much earlier than an x-ray.  Even though you may be apprehensive about the results, it's the best thing you can do for your heath.  I was diagnosed with mild emphysema on one of these tests.  It was the motivator that finally led to my quit after 50 years of smoking.   I celebrate 6 years on the 13th.  

Happy to see you on the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time. Do lots of reading on the site to prepare for your quit.  This link is a great place to get you started on your quit plan.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Learning about nicotine addiction, having a quit plan and support from fellow quitters made quitting possible for me after many previous attempts to quit.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Giulia

@ninalp You made a wise decision.  It's better to find out sooner than later if there's something going on (which we hope there isn't!) as the earlier a situation can be discovered, often the better quicker the ability to treat it.  Setting a quit date was also a wise decision.  Keep reading, keep learning.  You cannot have too much knowledge about the journey ahead.  It will arm you and help you avoid the pitfalls.  Chin up and charge forth!