cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DDfree

Let the journey begin....

So, I finally talked to my doctor and I started Wellbutrin today for smoking. He didn't really give me much information so I thought this would be the place to get the 411. I also bought an ecig for nicotine replacement. Any advice on using this medication or experience would be awesome, yall! Thanks a bunch! Good luck to everyone on their unique journeys to quit smoking! ❤️

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

The information comes with the RX from the pharmacist.  You should read it.  Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that is also used to ASSIST in quitting smoking.  It is not a magic pill you still have to do the work in order to stay smokefree.  That is never taking another puff.   Wellbutrin releases dopamine to take the edge off of wanting to smoke.  Please follow the instructions.  Where I live they give all the side effects with the RX package.  As far as the ecig with nicotine you may be doing the wrong thing by adding nicotine to your system.  The idea is to withdraw from it and the addictive hand to mouth behavior associated with smoking.  All in all it is your quit and your choice but you must educate yourself in order to make the correct decision. Stay close.  

Welcome to EX.  pastedImage_1.png

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read:   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

We will support you. You are on your journey to freedom

0 Kudos
c2q

Oh No! Not the dreaded e-cig! You don't need it, a plain old straw to chew on will take care of the hand-to-mouth urge. I used Wellbutrin for about 5 days when I quit. Truthfully, the support I got here at this site helped me much, much more, but I needed the meds to "fall back on" the first couple days, to convince myself that I could do it, I think. 

This is all much like pulling a bandaid off. It's gonna hurt, but just for a little while. The thinking about it is worse that the actual doing it. Face one manageable chunk of quit at a time - a few minutes, a few hours, whatever you can commit to. You've got this.

0 Kudos

DDfree

0 Kudos
dwwms

I had talked with my doctor who also had recommended Wellbutrin. Ultimately, I decided not to start with it because it can have some similar side effects as Chantix, which I used several years ago and was not nice to me. That doesn't mean it won't work for you. I left the option open if I felt I needed it later down the road. (I'm currently 60+ days into my quit).

I decided to use NRT lozenges to help me work on the psychological addiction first and then wean off nicotine. From my experience, an e-cig, with or without nicotine is too close to the same as smoking cigarettes. I tried it - twice. Both times after awhile, I was like it wasn't as good as a cigarette, so that's back where I landed. Again, that's just my experience. You need to do what you think will work best for you - the most important thing is educating yourself about the addiction, and maintaining a positive attitude. And of course, support!

Doug

petbo5

I used wellbutrin and had no problems with it, it's an anti-depressant, and I have experienced depression while quitting before, so it helped me.  Got hooked on the e-cig when I tried it, went back to cigs.  But I know it has worked for others. 25 days today (serial quitter).

gardenancy8

I also tried using an e-cig and found it made me want the real thing more! 

0 Kudos