cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

alison5

LIVING WITH A SMOKER!

Hey everyone! I have one more day until my quit date and my roommate who has been away is home now. She smokes occasionally but just being around her makes me want to. When we talk about serious issues or come home from a party, we stay up and smoke for hours. How do I replace that? What other ways are there to feel connected to someone while talking? I don't even know anymore. I could use allllll the help you all can give.
Gracias!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
nicky3

I live with a smoker as well who has no intention to quit. My quit day is the 19th and it will be hard for me to see cigs around the house every day and seeing him smoke. I wish you well!
0 Kudos
alison5

Thanks for the reply.
Basically we have to work a double it feels trying not to smoke when you are living with a smoker. If anything it can prepare us better for the reality of the situation. I know I might not need a cig for days and then all of a sudden I will be around a group of people, friends, bums even! who are smoking and want one.
So we should look at this roommate as a help more than a hindrance i suppose. Just decide where you want them to keep their cigs. I would steal (with permission in the end though) my roommates all the time, I knew she had them in a purse or wherever. Knowing where the closest cig is has a huge affect.
I wish you luck as well!
0 Kudos
kevin-pace

I know how you feel. I live with 3 other smoking jazz musicians and we chill out side and smoke after gigs here at the house. I don't think there is anything that can replace that but they've been cool about not offering me smokes. I also have more money for beer! But that might not be a good thing... 🙂

Good luck Alison
0 Kudos
alison5

Yeah...basically it sucks not be able to have that constant chill time with your friends after the night is over. I have probably had some of my deepest or funniest conversations in that moment. and when you are a smoker it becomes hard to disassociate those moments with a cig. In my head i still am not at that point.
I am still in this avoiding period. Im not a straight edge, corny broad BUT i do not drink (or do anything besides smoke cigs for that matter) so sometimes its hard to engage with people in certain social settings. Cigs were always my way of handling parties, etc.
Can you really sit there while your friends are chilling and smoking? Good for you if can, any advice?
0 Kudos
alison5

Sunflower seeds...i like that. my roommate actually consumes quite a bit of those. I think i will purchase some of those flavored, strong toothpicks. Every person i know who has ever tried to quit anything has bought them. They are pretty awesome, you can chew them with a vengeance and they won't break!
0 Kudos