cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dadof6

Just looking for support

Hi my name is Rick and trying to decide on a date, thinking late May would be good. I thought this would be a-lot easier, but feeling a lot of anxiety over it. Anyone have any advice???
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
kris13

Hi!!
I have been stressed about this too--my advice, (but keep in mind I'm still trying too) is to look at it as only one craving at a time. Where I have gotten stuck in other attempts was when I just keep looking ahead and thinking it was too hard....we can do it! I decided to go for it this time, by keeping myself as busy as I can, and staying moment to moment.
Hope that helps--feel free to stay in touch!!
0 Kudos
dadof6

Kris,
Thank you for the advice, I will definatly try to look at things differently. Glad to know I am not alone.
Ricky
0 Kudos
cindy25

I followed the ex program and it really helped. Bu just following the program, I cut my smoking in half before I quit. That made my quit date so much easier. Deal with your triggers before you quit (like stop smoking in the car, after meals, mornings, etc) . Take them one by one.You can do it!
0 Kudos
carol-hetzler

DadOf6 - Every time you get the urge to pick up a cigarette, think about your kids. You want to be around to see all of them go to prom, graduate from high school, college, get married, whatever, don't you? Remember every cigarette you smoke takes something like an hour off your life. And you definitely don't want to have your kids think it's OK to smoke because you do. I worshipped the ground my dad walked on and I started smoking because he smoked even though he tried everything he could think of to keep me from it. In the end I took care of him while he died of lung cancer. Do you want one of your kids to have to do that? Believe me, its something you never get over. I'm quitting for the third time with the help of Chantix. (Luckily, I don't have any problems with it.) If you are going cold turkey, you have my greatest admiration. My father and my husband both quit that way and stayed quit. Men seem to be stronger doing it that way. I've tried dozens of times cold turkey and never made it. Kris is right too, look at it as only one craving at a time, get through that one, keep busy...we can all do it!!! Another thing I do is pay myself for every cigarette I don't smoke. Here in San Antonio, my brand runs about $4.00 a pack, so every time I don't have that cigarette I want I put $0.20 in a change jar. You'd be surprised how fast that mounts up to some pretty big bucks, specially if you're a heavy smoker like I am (two packs a day). When I quit (on Mon. 5/26/08) I automatically put $8.00 a day in the jar. By the end of a month of not smoking I have $240 to spend on whatever I want. Best of luck. Carol
0 Kudos
lisa-hamilton

One of my friends told me to think of this as being free of the weed -- not so much as quitting smoking, but not to want to smoke any more. Withdrawals are scary, but I don't think they've killed anybody. We get irritable and spacy when we get a cold, but we know it's going to go away, so we bear it somehow. The cravings will go away too.

I have to think of smoking tomorrow and NOT AN OPTION. That's my date. There's another member who is looking for support for this date as well. If you're up to it, join us. I'm planning to do this one day, one hour, one minute at a time.

The anxiety will likely disappear once you begin the journey.

Another friend who quit told me that when she got a craving she would just DO NOTHING about it and wait for it to pass, doing the next thing she needed to do meanwhile.

I'm in the same boat you are, so all this advice may seem holier than thou, but it's just my arsenal.

Lisa Palmer
0 Kudos
sharpie62

Congratulations on your decision to quit! I was anxious, too, since I've been unsuccessful in quitting before, but am finding it (slightly) easier this time. Friday was my 1st smoke-free day, and each day has become less of a struggle.

If your kids are like mine, they are merciless in hounding me about smoking, so just knowing I don't have to deal with that anymore is a huge incentive 😉

The triggers thing is absolutely important - I started 'separating' a week and a half before I quit (no smoking in the car,etc.), and it's been really helpful. If you can get through your commute to work, your first coffee of the day, etc. without a smoke NOW, you'll mentally remove the 'reward' aspect of smoking in those situations before you actually have to give up completely. You'll notice that you'll cut down a lot, too.

I'd give yourself at least a week away from ALL of your triggers. The biggest challenge for me was that I did this for some (like driving) but not all (like coffee) before my quit date. And I'll tell you - that first cup of coffee on Friday was a real challenge for me.

Any way - good luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress. We're all going through this together and are here if you ned support.
0 Kudos
lisa-hamilton

Thank you. After I read your message, I realized that a friend of mine had told me he spent 30 days "rearranging his life" i.e. watching for his triggers and not smoking during those times, before he quit. May be good advice. I've been working from an emotional perspective and looking at the things that make me want to smoke, eat, escape from whatever I'm feeling, etc., but this is a really practical way to begin the process.
0 Kudos