cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mrs.-u

Inner Turmoil

Why is it so hard to get your body and mind to do what your brain knows you need to do? The rational part of your brain knows what you need to do, but the rest of you is determined to keep in the same old routine. Anyone else feel that way? Anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to overcome?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
richj

We all spent a lot of time teaching ourselves to smoke. We programmed our mind with when and how to crave. Now we just have to undo all those years of routine. This addiction thrives on mind games. We have to just keep listening to that inner voice that know best. Best way to quit is to not get suckered into that first drag. It is easy to stay smoke-free if you just don't put that filthy thing in your mouth.

I am almost 25 days smoke-free and I feel like a completely different person. Everyday I make the pledge not to smoke, which I think is a good way to re-program your brain. Have a constant dialogue with yourself and BE HONEST! I can't tell you how many times I have lied to myself in my past failed quits.

Good luck. Your thoughts about quitting will change as you continue to stay positive and reward yourself for all your hard work. This is so worth it!

J.
0 Kudos
lisa-hamilton

I know the feeling only too well. I have had trouble sustaining any kind of self-care program for any length of time and today it occurred to me that maybe it's because I have been unable to quit smoking. After all, what's the point of doing all that Yoga and breathing and eating right and exercising if you still smoke, right? I've been trying to understand this for some time and I don't think I'm really going to understand until I actually do the deed. I think this is one of those times that hindsight will be more important.

Anyway, a friend of mine told me to change my attitude from I want to quit smoking to I don't want to smoke any more. He says it's more effective and it means one is really ready to quit. My feeling is, at this point, that we just have to bite the bullet and try it one day at a time, one hour at a time, perhaps one minute at a time. I know I can go 24 hours.

My other friend who quit says that, when you get the craving, DO NOTHING. It will go away shortly. There's nothing to do but go on to the next thing and then, 20 minutes later or so, realize the craving is gone.

Best of luck and courage.

Lisa Palmer
0 Kudos
sherri10

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean!!!!!

Since I quit, I haven't very reliable to anyone!!!! It's hard right now just to get back into a daily routine. One thing I know of that really works for me, which conicidentally, I haven't done, is to make lists. I have a big dry erase board that I put my lists on. So far the only thing I 've crossed off in the last 17 days is 'Quit Smoking'!! That's a pretty big accoplishment for me right now, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself!
0 Kudos

I think yer doin great Sherri! It's almost like learning to walk again. Thats extreme, but the effects are extreme too! You have helped me when i first started. I think that means your doin awesome!

I have been quit for 6 Days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 22 seconds (6 days). I have saved $21.19 by not smoking 121 cigarettes. I have saved 10 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/19/2008 1:33 AM
0 Kudos
sherri10

Thanks Justin, you've helped me too!
0 Kudos
claudia6

Leslie is right on!!! Its how you look at quitting smoking.........if you are mourning the loss of ciggerettes...your head is not screwed on right. I know...I used to suffer through my previous quits because I thought that way....I actually felt a loss of my little stick friends. The reason I mention this is because I have had quite a few failed attempts...because I used to suffer through my quits...once I thought about it (and read Allen Carrs book too) I would look at it logically....why would any of us purposely try to make ourselves sick? It doesnt make sense. And never romance the idea of one...you must make that commitment!!

You guys are all doing really well.....It does get better...just stay on track...dont look back. You need to visualize that you are ESCAPING those little suckers instead of thinking "Im suffering and giving up something I love." This is so key to your quit.

I will be 11 months smoke free on the 28th and next month I will hit my year mark. It feels soooo great and I wish you all the same feeling.........I hate smoking now!! Literally!!! If I ever get stuck in an elevator with a smoker...I want to vomit!! I feel better and I smell great!!

Hang in there guys....its not about suffering and "living without" Its about finally living!!!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Here are some thoughts: You mention routine, but not really smoking. Have you changed your entire routine? Maybe you need to. It's really strange, since I stopped smoking, I no longer care to drink coffee in the morning. You have no idea how weird that is for me....I live in the coffee obsession center of the USA (Seattle). I have really started to focus on my diet and choosing healthier foods. I want to get regular exercise within the next few weeks (maybe join a gym again). My (unhealthy) routines that were once related and centered around smoking are no longer important to me!!!!! I think when you stop smoking, you change your LIFE. You become free to put yourself first and be "self centered" in a healthy way. Old routines that remind you of your "loss" may have to be cast aside for the new healthier you to come out and be happy. You might find that you had that routine because of your addiction and not because it is good,fun or healthy....so "no real loss". Don't give up!!!!! You are worth it.
0 Kudos
mrs.-u

Thanks for all the advice. It's always nice to know that you aren't the only one going through things.
0 Kudos