cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lpg

Just burned dinner.

Tired, irritable and tearful.  So angry with myself, not only for burning dinner but for getting myself in the addiction to begin with.  Just feeling so miserable.  My poor husband doesnt know what to do...which also irritates me!

5 Replies
marciem

YAAY you for starting this journey, Lpg‌!!  It is the best thing you can ever do for yourself and also your loved ones!!

NOW, burned dinner?  Par for the course!  I used to smoke as my "timer" on cooking, you know, put something on, simmer until smoke over, next step yada yada smoke again  ... LOL!  My first holiday meal after quitting was a mess of overdone & underdone goodies and all tasted great and everyone loved them because they love me.

Irritation?  Perfectly normal.  At yourself?    Sure.  At hubs for not understanding?  Sure.  At hubs for being so understanding?  Sure!  At the dustbunnies under the bed?... youbetcha!  At every jerk on the road (and they're all jerks for now!)? ... Yep.  Irritation may be a way of life for the short term.  Rage can often happen.

THIS IS ALL NORMAL.  And best of all... TEMPORARY!!  Everything BAD about about the quit process is TEMPORARY.  All the good stuff about quitting is PERMANENT and keeps getting better.

But the only way to the better part is to go through the TEMPORARY bad part.  You can't get over it, can't go around it, you have to go THROUGH it and not smoke!!

Hang in there, come here often to read and post, rant if you like, get your anger and fears out here, we've all been where you are and lived to tell the tale!!

Best to you for a smoke-free life ahead!

Lpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

YoungAtHeart

Right on schedule, I'm afraid.  You are still in the first week of your quit, and, no doubt about it....it sucks.  Just get through it the best you can.  If you are able to get a bit of exercise in - a brisk walk, a few sets of stairs, even a few jumping jacks - it will help.  So will keeping a cold bottle of water handy and sipping from it.

Don't sweat the small stuff.  Don't expect too much from yourself, either.  This is the most difficult part of the journey.....the first two weeks are the pits....but it DOES get easier as you get further along.

Just get through each day - and celebrate each one!  Be PROUD that you made it!

Hang in there!

Nancy

SimplySheri

I can burn dinner like nobody's business    And I've been quit for years!!  Everything you're feeling is a normal part of quitting and the wonderful part of that is....you're not smoking!! Yay, you!!  Keep going and you'll start to find more positives in your quit.  Moments of peace, happiness, and/or contentment.  No more day 1 for you      Wtg!!

elvan

Oh my...it's amazing how hard we are on ourselves when we really need patience and understanding.  Our poor family members...they really DON'T know what to do.  This letter to a loved one might help you AND your husband.../blogs/Anacondahead-blog/2012/01/25/letter-to-a-loved-one   You can change it and personalize it in any way that you feel will help.  Take deep breaths...forgive yourself not just for burning dinner but for falling prey to the addiction of nicotine.  We all did it...we are here for you, remember that.

Ellen