cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

Just a 2020 rant

I need to vent a little, about 2020.  First we (our country) started with hearing "possible pandemic" natterings at the begining.  Then, in early March, we (hubs and I) went on a two-day visit to son and family which turned out a bit contentious (nothing new there).  We get home and there is a note in our door from B-I-L making some wild accusations about hubs... again, nothing new but had to be dealt with mostly thru attorneys.   

A week later my precious Sox, kittyboy, began acting odd for a few days (not eating, not grooming), and it was time for rabies shot anyways, so off to the vet.  Well, turns out he had a large mass in his chest, probable lymphoma but they didn't know, off to another vet and testing, pretty much same thing.  Best option after much vet consultation and heartbreaking soul search agreed to be to ease him out of his discomfort, which was devastating to us.  That was the day before our whole county went on SIP lockdown.

We've been dealing with the lockdown pretty well, except exercise opportunities decreased, also dealing with B-I-L problems and threats as they arose (he barks a lot but has never actually bitten) and trying to get over the passing of our precious family member Kittyboy. 

Now for the last day and a half, we're on evacuation warning from wildfire, friends have already been evacuated.  We're preparing for the worst and hoping for the best since the fire departments are staging right across the highway from us, between us an the fires, but it's still stressful.  LOL, I haven't thought of smoking, but we're choking on smoke anyways, plus ash  .

On the bright side, we're still in our home (for now), for one thing.  A couple of weeks ago I had a follow up on my lung cancer which showed no changes, some resolution of an area that was of concern in February, so all is good there.  Another bright side, as mentioned above, I haven't even thought of smoking.  My children and grandchildren and loved ones are in good health, again a plus.  I guess I could count family members individually to come up with more bright twinkles  .  B-I-L has backed off (for now) so that's good too.

So far, 2020 has been difficult, seems like one big dark cloud until I pull out the pluses   .

37 Replies
marciem

Thank you so much for your kind words, John Jeanmarc19561 They brightened my day!  I'm piece by piece getting things together just in case, I'm very lucky to have the advance warning and not "you have 5 (10, 15) minutes to get out" that others have heard.  I'm still hoping for the best.

Smoking is not and won't be an option.  I live by SNOT   (Smoking Not Option Today) as well as NOPE!

marciem

We're still under "warning", mostly because there is a "red flag alert" from the Weather service indicating possible dry lightening tonite/tomorrow.  Thousands of people have been evacuated, and now there are reports of looting   while the sheriffs do their best to protect the areas (there are so many evacuees and evacuated areas, it is difficult to comprehend). 

What is wrong with people?

The worst I heard, which brought me to tears of sorrow and range, was on the news that said one of the fire-fighters, one of our real heroes who are working tirelessly and short-handedly, had his wallet stolen and his account(s) cleaned out while he was busy saving lives and property.  I don't know if he dropped the wallet, or left it in a fire vehicle (I doubt any civilian got close enough to pick-pocket)... whatever, it doesn't matter.

Again, what is wrong with people?

YoungAtHeart

We have become a ME, ME, ME bunch of people - with little or no regard for anyone else.

I have said this before, but I am glad I am on THIS side of my life and not the other.  I cannot BELIEVE what people have become.  There ARE bright spots, still, and I try to focus on those. I hope folks reading this story will start a GoFundMe for him.

If you hear of one, do let us know,please!

Nancy

marciem

I was thinking the same thing, Nancy (about the GoFundMe thing) and I will be keeping my eyes open for it.

Link to article:  https://www.ksbw.com/article/its-sickening-firefighter-battling-czu-lightning-complex-burglarized/33...

SuzyQ411

So darned sad. Makes no sense. My heart aches just thinking about it 

NanKath

Prayers for safety from the fires!

Kathy 366 DOF

elvan

I am so sorry for all that you are going through, any ONE of those things, the loss of your precious fur baby, your BIL, & those HORRIBLE fires! Then to hear that a firefighter’s wallet was cleaned out...my face was definitely watering itself as l read this. I AM glad to hear that your lung cancer is under control. I am so sorry that all of this is happening & i will keep you & your neighbors in my thoughts & prayers

Ellen

marciem

According to sources, the Fire Department does not sponsor GoFundMe's in situations like this, and apparently there are already a bunch of fraudulent scam GoFundMe's happening because of the fires so they're asking NOT to go that route.  They said the various agencies (fire, sheriff, police) in the area are taking care of the Fireman, as well as hunting down the scumbag who did this as best they can.

There is apparently a GoFundMe set up, but it is not in any way related to the fire department or ANYONE IN IT (including the fireman), so they advise use caution.  Nobody at this time knows who set it up.

YoungAtHeart

Thanks for following up on that.  Much appreciated!

Nancy

marciem

Glad to do it.   

We're still under evacuation warning, but that seems to be "overabundance of caution" right now, according to updates.  We are also breathing easier, figuratively and in reality (much less if any smoke around my home)