cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

5Jacks

Just Joined - Hello to All

Glad I found this community! There’s a lot of content here to read and I’m looking forward to digging into it and being on the support team.

I have not smoked for 5 full days now after smoking a pack a day for almost 40 years. I only quit once before many years ago and that lasted about one month.

This time is different. I was finally, and unequivocally, ready to stop. Stop buying, inhaling, obsessing, and thinking about cigarettes.

I’m using the patch and popping one or two lozenges a day. So far, so good. 

The thing I’ve noticed since quitting, that is very surprising to me, is that I have an overwhelming sense of peace. The inner struggle is gone. And peace is happiness. 

Peace be with you.

24 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your 5 days smoke free.   Continue to read posts on this site.  There's a wealth of information.  If you haven't done so already, it not too late to create a My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX   We're here to support you on your journey.  Are you taking the Daily Pledge?  It has really helped me to be successful one day at a time.  We're here to support you.  Just reach out!

AnnetteMM

Hello and Welcome!

I found this site after I'd already quit all nicotine. Glad you're here!

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s 5Jacks 

You have a great start to your quit journey by having a good attitude...that will help you greatly...and yes quitting does give us so much peace...but usually it takes time for us to get there, you are there with 5 days quit, which is super.  Be sure to read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... supporting and encouraging others in this journey helps you so much ... and of course we are all here to support you...Happy Thursday ~ Colleen 416 DOF 

0 Kudos
5Jacks

Thanks, Colleen. What does the "416 DOF" after your name mean?

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Did anyone answer this?  Days of Freedom

MarilynH

5Jacks‌ I'm not sure if someone answered your question of DOF stands for it is Days of Freedom and congrats to your precious 6 glorious DOF and counting WTG.....

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great humor 5Jacks‌! Way to post a profile picture!

EX Community Admin Team
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome, Congratulation son 5 days of freedom.  Quitting smoking does bring a great amount of peace which is amazing.  I am glad you have EXperienced it so early in your quit. I suggest that you educate yourself on the addiction to nicotine.  Being that you are using an NRT eventually you will have to wean yourself off of that also.  Therefore preparation is key. 

. I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get the info that was very helpful to me is  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and FreedomFrom Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating this site go to. Community Help

Welcome to the beginning of your forever quit.  I believe you can stay quit smoking if you make quitting smoking your number one priority. You can do this if you make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke is a good beginning.   Make a commitment No matter whatever happens never take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is the NOPE concept Not one puff ever. We have to be willing to do the work. It is not by will power but your willingness to do this.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work.   Learning to protect your quit will keep you on your journey forever freedom. This journey is one day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close. 

pastedImage_1.jpg

5Jacks

Thank you so much for this, Jackie! I will read all of those links you provided.

The thought occurred to me today that I probably have a false sense of security and/or confidence by using NRTs and I wondered what it will be like once I wean myself off of them. I'm not ready to let go of my "binky" or "blanky" just yet.

Agreed that preparation and knowledge is the key!

Mary

0 Kudos