Give and get support around quitting

barbara42

June Quitters

yea!!!!!!!!!!we got featured!!!!!!!!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
525 Replies
kristen14

My husband smokes, but the advantage is I never allowed smoking in my home because 1) My kids have asthma and 2) it causes ALOT of damage to the house ie. stinky and yellows everything. He smokes outside. If the person in your house supports your decision to quit maybe you could ask them to step outside or even to smoke in a single room with a window open and doors closed like a bathroom.
  You will be surprised how much easier it is to clean a smoke free house, LOTS less dust!
  Also I like to keep a bottle of disinfectant hand stuff by the door and ask my husband to use it after he smokes to cut down the smell when he comes in, it has been working out well.
0 Kudos
joe-williams

My poor wife had to put up with me smoking after she quit 2 years ago. I never liked smoking in the house so that wasn't a problem. I had to take a shower and brush my teeth real good before getting into bed, could not smoke in her car. I find I'm getting a lot more attention from her since I quit, which is a dam good thing. My wife never nagged, just supportive when I would try to quit. This time she knew it was for good.
0 Kudos

My husband never smoked so he had to put up with me! I always smoked outside and never in the car, etc. I didn't mind because I respected his position on smoking but he never nagged me or got on my case for it. I really think this helped in the long run to make the quitting easier. If your spouse still smokes, maybe you'll rub off on them!! That would be another great benefit
0 Kudos
karen6

My boyfriend is a never-smoker, so even though it's easier to quit without him smoking around me, I also can't really expect too much support from him. He says when I'm not smoking he forgets I ever smoked, so it's like he thinks I have forgotten too, but it's not like that for the recovering addict. That's why I'm so grateful for this site, and I'm positive it will help prevent me from relapsing after a few months or even a year like I have done with every quit before this one.
0 Kudos
maria18

Okay, I really knuckled down about the cigs when I visited my non-smoking sister over a long weekend, starting with June 19. It was much easier to remain smoke free when I was surrounded by sis and her non-smoking friends. I did slip outside in the mornings for 2 cigs with my coffee and 1 outside after lunch the first full day. The nights were the hardest...seems like I tossed and turned most every evening after I went to bed! ;0( Once I got back home, I continued to smoke with my morning coffee, after lunch and before I went to bed. I'm using a nicotine gum and drinking lots of ice water. As the week goes on, the cigarettes in the morning are not as refreshing as the gum and icewater! Yeah! lol BUT I have a grandaughter who is a teen and very disresptful and very determined to smoke in front of me and make fun of my efforts. Seems like she bates me constantly. Her mom, my daughter who lives with me is trying not to smoke in front of me but very pointedly sceptical about my efforts. I suspect I am interfering with THEIR smoking habits. 😉 My other daughters have been after me for years to quit are quite encouraging. The middle girl has even obtained a prescription for Chantex and is starting her own program today! In the last week I've gotten down to 2 cigarettes with coffee in the morning most days and I hope to wean those out in the coming week. Oh..someone in one of these discussion groups mentioned red licorice sticks (Twizzlers) and I grab those sometimes too when the "wannas" start getting the best of me! A 51 yr. habit is pretty deeply ingrained, so I'm more than a little pleased I've come this far! 😉
0 Kudos
kristen14

Welcome to Become an Ex Maria!
  Sorry to say but it sounds like your grand daughter is a little disrespectful!
  If it is your home set some ground rules for your daughter and her daughter to smoke, Let them know that it is OK if they are not supportive but that you wont tollerate disrespect or sabbotage of your efforts to become healthy!
  I am taking Chantix, you should tell your daughter to sign up for this site, there is a special group for those taking Chantix, I am on my 2nd week of the meds and have been quit 4.5 days! I love it! Good luck to you!
0 Kudos
christine12

Hello Marie,
  Welcome to our special group. All I can say is stay strong and if it is your house tell your granddaughter and daughter to go outside becasue all that matters is your health and being smoke free. Free from them nasty ugly butts. When in doubt come to us we will coach you in the right direction. I have been without a cig for 21 days and i smoked almost 2 packs a days somedays. You can do it. Once you do you will fell so much better, breathing a whole new world. Again good luck and stay strong.
0 Kudos
maria18

Thanks for the encouragement, Christine and Kristen! 😉 I was up to 3 packs most days, so I am REALLY proud that I've come this far! It IS my house, after all, so these two can dang well go outside with their stink! lol Funny thing, I never noticed the stink too much til about 3 days into my "campaign"..that day I rolled my "coffee" butt into a napkin and tucked it into my change purse to dispose of later. OMG! That was a week ago and now, every time I fish out a bill, I smell the stink! Gee! I can only imagine what I must have smelled like to everyone while I was smoking so MANY! I seem to be very sensitive to smells now! Maybe that expensive cologne I've always been so fond of will actually smell nice on it's own, without having to mask the "smoke stink"! 😉
0 Kudos
kristen14

Time for some spring cleaning! Open the windows Febreeze the furniture and wash the walls! It will keep your mind off smoking AND make your house smell better!! LOL
0 Kudos
joe-williams

I've started looking forward to the challenges now. I'll be getting off work at 3 p.m., go play pool at a bar with two of my buddies (one smokes but wants to quit), then tonight I have band practice where I am the only "true" non smoker in the group. Last week I dreaded the hell out of friday, but I made it through nicely. This week...bring it on!!!
0 Kudos