cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MaltaCatLady8

It is a tough road

Jump to solution

On what would have been the two week mark of no nicotine - I relapsed - I smoked. It is unbelievable how overwhelming the craving became - even with a patch - even armed with all the information I know about nicotine addiction - even after doing all of the strategies that helped me the past two weeks - I relapsed. At first, I was angry at myself - two weeks down the drain. Then, I had to stop and remind myself that a relapse does not mean I am not going to make it - I picked myself up, and got back on the path. I realized that the trigger that prompted me into that overwhelming craving is something that is not going to be solved by picking up a cigarette - there are much healthier ways to deal with situations than with nicotine. I used a very stressful situation as an excuse to smoke - ugh! Maybe after two weeks of feeling so good - so healthy, I became complacent - knowing that the danger of relapse is always present because the addiction is so ingrained in my brain - I still let the craving overtake me. I need to remember that I am in control, not the nicotine monsters hiding in the recesses of my subconscious. I also didn't reach out to the Ex community when this happened - I suppose because of embarrassment at what I consider a failure. I know now that this community is what I need to help me stay on this path. One of the Ex members told me that this is one day at a time - sometimes one hour at a time, sometimes even a minute at a time. I have to remember that. 

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MarilynH

I'm so sorry that you relapsed @MaltaCatLady8 BUT I'm so proud of you for restarting your precious quit journey! THIS is one heck of an addiction to kick BUT you are going to succeed in living a life of Freedom and you're going to do it one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths you've got this believe it PLUS we're all here to help you in any way we can! Vigilance is key! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@MaltaCatLady8 This important thing is your got right back on track.  If you learned from your mistake, it's a lesson well learned.  The average is 8 -10 attempts to quit smoking.   Over 50 years, I know I attempted to at least this many times.   These numbers demonstrate how  difficult it is to quit with nicotine being so addictive.   

Don't give up and continue to work on learning how to quit.  When I found the Ex for the first time, I learned what I needed to do to be successful. But more importantly, I found the support  I never had before. That support is here for you too, so take advantage of it.  There's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Remember, reach out before you smoke, not after when it's too late.  It really works!

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

I hope you get right back on that horse.  This is a journey and you stopped for TWO weeks, so you proved that to yourself.  Most of us have stories of quitting, cos we are addicts and maybe we don't get it exactly right the first time.  You are doing the soul searching and to figure out what happened.  Don't give up, this is a journey.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarilynH

I'm so sorry that you relapsed @MaltaCatLady8 BUT I'm so proud of you for restarting your precious quit journey! THIS is one heck of an addiction to kick BUT you are going to succeed in living a life of Freedom and you're going to do it one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths you've got this believe it PLUS we're all here to help you in any way we can! Vigilance is key! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@MaltaCatLady8 This important thing is your got right back on track.  If you learned from your mistake, it's a lesson well learned.  The average is 8 -10 attempts to quit smoking.   Over 50 years, I know I attempted to at least this many times.   These numbers demonstrate how  difficult it is to quit with nicotine being so addictive.   

Don't give up and continue to work on learning how to quit.  When I found the Ex for the first time, I learned what I needed to do to be successful. But more importantly, I found the support  I never had before. That support is here for you too, so take advantage of it.  There's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Remember, reach out before you smoke, not after when it's too late.  It really works!

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

I hope you get right back on that horse.  This is a journey and you stopped for TWO weeks, so you proved that to yourself.  Most of us have stories of quitting, cos we are addicts and maybe we don't get it exactly right the first time.  You are doing the soul searching and to figure out what happened.  Don't give up, this is a journey.

0 Kudos
MaltaCatLady8

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement! I am so thankful for your support!