cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ranjitthewolf

Is it time i throw away my circuit breaker?

Jump to solution

The cigarette inside the box is the last cigarette that i was supposed to smoke 6 months and 27 days back. I call this the circuit breaker as i used to smoke when i get stressed out. During the past 6 months i never smoked again but i never bothered throwing away the last cigarette. I like to keep it around as a souvenir.

IMG_6725.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elvan

ranjitthewolf  I had to get rid of everything that reminded me of smoking, for ME, it was the only way.  I did not trust myself, I tried keeping cigarettes around on past quits...I always smoked them.  I never kept just one...I always kept what was left in a pack.  This quit was different for me, I knew it had to be my forever quit...I was too sick to take any more chances.  We all do things our own ways...as long as we don't smoke.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
susan_m

I certainly admire your commitment!  I was the oposite....I had to ban all evidence of my former smoking life.  

Maybe it's time....perhaps on NYE?  Start 2018 completely free.  No souvenirs needed!

Congratulations!!

0 Kudos

Perhaps you can buy yourself a souvenir that represents your New Ranjit. Then you can destroy that circuit breaker. Ceremony counts. You don't need that any more because you don't do that any more.

minihorses

I left a pack with three cigarettes in it on the counter in the garage where I used to smoke.  It stayed there for a couple weeks but not because if I really wanted it they were available to smoke but to actually challenge myself. I don't usually challenge myself much because life is challenging enough, but this task was going to have the test first and the lesson afterwards.  I only had that one slip in the early days and smoked a few drags off one.  I put them back in the pack and left them there. Never touched them and after about a month I threw them out, challenge completed and WON!  You can keep an empty pack to shake your fist at if it works for you!  Keep on NOPE-ing!

julie 61 DOF

Jennifer-Quit

What ever works for you.  I had to get rid of everything smoke related.  I admire your strength in having one within reach and not smoking it.  Congratulations!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

No reason to keep it around. You don't do that anymore - that challenge has been WON!   Buy yourself something special with some of the $$$ you have saved by not buying more.

So happy to hear from you; congratulations on almost 7 MONTHS!  Next stop:  a YEAR and the 6% Club.  I'm saving you a seat.

Nancy

0 Kudos
dwwms

Have to agree with others - it would have been a bad idea for me to have left any cigarettes anywhere around. Those first few mornings - it would have been gone! I'd say get rid of it - you don't need that circuit breaker - there isn't any "emergency only" situation to arise. Good job!

Doug

0 Kudos
Brianairb2

I admire your strength. No way would I have been able to survive the first few days with a cigarette in reach. I think it's a great idea to have a ceremony to bid farewell to the dependency. Maybe a sacrificial bonfire?

At any rate, congratulations.  Onward to a year!

maryfreecig

Welp, seems best for you to decide whether to keep your souvenir. I've got a glass jar filled with spent cig butts (collected in 2013 just prior to quitting) that I've left on the upper shelf of a ultility cupboard. The day may come when I choose to say that is way old history of no import to me, but for today, I like to remember what I went through to make my quit come true. If that cig is still an emergency cig, then throw it away. 

0 Kudos
minihorses

I did the glass jar with water and cig butts in it. I left it on the workbench in the garage where I smoked.  Everytime I went out for a smoke I looked square at it and with no hesitation, lit up a cigarette.  It got to the point where I ignored it for so long that I didn't even SEE the jar.  It just blended in to background, like it wasn't even there! Ah, what the human mind will do to give the body what it wants, good or bad.