cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Is it better to quit after the holidays?

Jump to solution

I chose Dec 2 as my quit date. As I get closer to that date i’m starting to think it will be too hard to do during the holidays. Is it better to quit when you’re not so busy?

17 Replies
Jessica5999

Actually it best to quit when you're busy. However, the better option is quit whenever your choosing to do so that way a release don't seem so bad and you can decide that it is  a period of time that you can say " I have done this before. I can do it again." So, dropping the habit isn't as hard.

Sootie

This is just my experience.....

I didn't exactly plan my quit. I just quit on November 15, 2009. I had, of course, been thinking about quitting...I was always THINKING about quitting. My husband quit in October and I was really just wanting to get rid of the stupid addiction forever. I never thought about it being right before Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I had, I bet I would have found an excuse not to do it and the course of MY life over the past 10 years would have been completely changed. Thankfully....I did quit. While I will not say it was easy going through the holidays.....it was satisfying. It was great to think that I was DOING IT! AND, doing it at a difficult time. I could MAKE IT!! I could!!! There were very bad moments.....but all in all, taking it one day or one hour or one minute at a time.....I made it through. I quit November 15, 2009 and by February/March 2010.....it was not easy but I knew I was going to make it (WITH the terrific support of this site...which I have never left!).

Sorry for going on and on......the simple answer to your question is -------there is NEVER a bad time to STOP this addiction.

Stay Strong.

Sammy838

Next year you will be able to see 2020

You have gotten great advice!

I am going to add, make sure you really really want to quit, and set your mind to doing it. Be determined to make it work, you dont want to keep going through the quit process over and over again.

Jessica5999

It is better to go through the process over and over again than not at all

elvan

I don't think it is ever easy but I DO think that being busy is really helpful at the beginning of a quit.  You have so much to look forward to experiencing smoke free.

You have gotten great advice.  Stay close to the site.

Ellen

Giulia

I just visited your page and it looks like you've set your quit date for the first day of 2020.  That gives you another couple of weeks to strengthen your plan, get your quit kit in order and do more reading.  Nice to see you doing your homework!

Barbscloud

There are text messages you can get from the Ex on a daily basis.  I found them very helpful leading up to my quit date.

Barb

0 Kudos