cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hesmysonshine

Is anyone going to quit smoking with the aid of Chantix?

A very close friend of mine quit using this and I've got my filled prescription in my bag with all good intentions of starting today. Then a friend of mine told me that there were reports of people on this getting feelings of suicide and well that's kinda freaked me out. I really want to quit and to quit for good but I'm afraid to do it on this pill. I'll probably feel better if I know someone else is taking it.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
murel

Hi, I have taken the Chantix and only got the vivid dreams, but also heard all the bad stuff about it. I stated taking it again this morning, first time round didn't last. My husband smokes and it was hard but I am not going to let that get to me this time, I hate that I smoke. If you are worried about some of the bad side effects have a close freind that you see every day watch for any changes in mood or behavior. The Chantix worked great, while I was taking it, even with my husband smoking in front of me the cravings were not bad. Good luck and come back offten for support and encouragment. Remember we are all in this together and it is one day, somtimes one minute, at a time.
Murel
0 Kudos
toady

Hi, I took Chantix for 2 weeks. At first I loved it! By about the 5th day it really helped control my urges, but you do have to take it on a full stomach or it will make you sick. Unfortunately, by the end of the second week I would be driving in my car (with my kids in the car) and thinking about how I could drive it off the rimms. My mood within a two week period went so south that I was suicidal. My docotor said that I can't take it. I have known other people with similar stories. It works well for some people and can cause severe mood disorders in others. If you take it make sure you have someone who knows you well and have them watch you for signs of depression or suicidal thoughts. I wish I could take it it would make the process so much easier to quit. Since then I've gone back to smoking and just found this site. I'm trying to figure out another way to quit. I hope it works for you.
Toady
0 Kudos
joanne13

I used Chantix with no side effects. The reason I quit is because you can still smoke with this product. So, my attempt was with the patch, I 'm afraid to smoke while wearing it....I've already had a heart attack.
0 Kudos