cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ReallyReal

Irritability

Jump to solution

I am in my 2nd day of quitting.  Yesterday, the first day, was a breeze.  Today I am so worried that I am going to lose it and start screaming at someone.  My brother was talking to me and it seemed like he was going out of his way to say every darn thing that he knew would tick me off.  Part of me knows that isn't true.  I was rude though in that in the middle of the conversation I just had to walk away and go outside.  I don't want a cigarette, I am not even thinking of smoking.  I am only thinking of how to keep myself from yelling at someone.  Any advice or support or information would be appreciated.  I've been reading things on this site.

Edit:  Just walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes.  Took my mind off stuff for a bit.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
maryfreecig

Wish I could help you on your request for guidance in avoiding yelling at someone. I kinda never have believed in behaving like a good girl, but I don't go out of my way to yell at others either. Kinda rare for me to do that. Likely it's not your normal either. One thought though is that you can come here and complain. Often just getting things off one's mind are all we really need to feel better. 

Definitely don't stuff crap. It's easy to think that what is bothering you shouldn't bother you, and then by holding it in and not dealing with it in any way...that can lead to resorting to nicotine. 

What bugged you yesterday may be gone and today may be mighty fine for you, either way you are a part of Ex and we get that it takes time to settle in.

Congratulations on all your smober days. Keep them coming!!!

323904809_1208377589770425_5267243791019261933_n.jpg

View solution in original post

McMoney

I'm a fan of the Jolly Rancher!!  The size of the candy in my mouth is an obstacle to being able to speak to or yell at my loved ones.  Walking is wonderful especially with music. And puzzles help to focus on something else. Also any sort of puzzle: Tetris, cross word puzzles, solitaire.. I'm partial to sudoku. 😁 

- Meriah

View solution in original post

8 Replies
champsin97

I think you handled it well.  Walked away then did something to move your attetion somewhere else.  FWIW I am on day 4 so I can relate.  Stay strong.

ReallyReal

@champsin97 thank you so much.  We can do this!

Barbscloud

@ReallyReal Being moody (irritable, anger, frustration, etc.) is a common withdrawal symptom.   You're brain has lost the nicotine it's used to getting so your dopamine level has dropped.   You're doing the right things.  Exercise is a great way to replace dopamine and you walked away to defuse the situation.  These negative feelings will peak within a few weeks.  In the meantime, keep busy and keep moving.  

And don't forget your deep breathing exercises!

Congrats on day 2.  One day at a time.

Barb

ReallyReal

Thank you so much @Barbscloud. I didn't remember the intensity of this part of it.  I appreciate the info and suggestions.  Will work on remembering to breathe.

champsin97

I don't remember it being this intense either.  I don't think it was this bad back in 2006.  Maybe it's harder the older you get.  We are about the same in age.  It's never to late to quit.  We got this!!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @ReallyReal. Just remember you got this and have a wonderful community here to support you in your quit journey. Also, this might be a helpful resource: https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/

- Danielle, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

Wish I could help you on your request for guidance in avoiding yelling at someone. I kinda never have believed in behaving like a good girl, but I don't go out of my way to yell at others either. Kinda rare for me to do that. Likely it's not your normal either. One thought though is that you can come here and complain. Often just getting things off one's mind are all we really need to feel better. 

Definitely don't stuff crap. It's easy to think that what is bothering you shouldn't bother you, and then by holding it in and not dealing with it in any way...that can lead to resorting to nicotine. 

What bugged you yesterday may be gone and today may be mighty fine for you, either way you are a part of Ex and we get that it takes time to settle in.

Congratulations on all your smober days. Keep them coming!!!

323904809_1208377589770425_5267243791019261933_n.jpg

McMoney

I'm a fan of the Jolly Rancher!!  The size of the candy in my mouth is an obstacle to being able to speak to or yell at my loved ones.  Walking is wonderful especially with music. And puzzles help to focus on something else. Also any sort of puzzle: Tetris, cross word puzzles, solitaire.. I'm partial to sudoku. 😁 

- Meriah